Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have what i think will be a decent setup for musky just to cast off the boat on saint clair trolling/drifting for walleye. the rod is a St. Croix PM66MH(line wt.15-30lb) and the reel is a abu garcia ambassadeur UC5600C. my question is what lb test and what type of line to use? also what to use for leader material(steel/fluoro/mono?)

·
Registered
39 Posts
That rod will work, but if you get hooked on muskie fishing, you will soon want a longer one. More leverage, and bigger figure 8's! If you are going to be casting, go with a Power Pro or Spider Wire Stealth braid. 80lb minimum. No, you won't be catching 80lb muskies, but the line is not meant for just the weight of the fish. It's the head shaking/snapping that the fish does, plus if you get a backlash with a heavy muskie lure it will stress it, and snap your line. I've watched 100lb break with just little gliders on. You can't go wrong with steel leaders. Flouro is also good. I'd recommend Stealth Tackle for either. 150lb+ flouro. Remember, flouro is not completely bite-proof. And it's completely invisible, so who cares if it's 1" thick?! LOL.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i prob wont get super serious with the musky just when the eyes or perch arent biting ill throw around some bucktails or other lures for em. ill pick up some braid in the 80lb range :)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
thanks, i prob wont get super serious with the musky just when the eyes or perch arent biting ill throw around some bucktails or other lures for em. ill pick up some braid in the 80lb range :)

have you ever trolled for musky on stclair?we tried it just have not got in to it cause i do not live in the area close to st clair. but have made it out there a few times we have been using almost same set up for them but on a church tackle tx-44 planer board. with keel weight and a leader about 5-10 foot back is a buck tail or a big diving musky bait about 200 foot back they dive about 10-12 foot at about 200 foot back the ones i have do. the probelm i am haveing is following the weed edges with out a gps got to get a good gps fish finder combo and do some exploreing my self . as for leader i have been using about 80 lbs titainum wire leaders that or maybe floro but it is up to you. i do not think you need 80 lb as the main line 40# maybe 50# braid should be fine for trolling as long as you are using a leader were using 15 lb test braid no leader for pike and there a good 36-38 inches. that was for trolling for them now if casting could be different i just dont want to ware out my arm casting to musky you know. i have seen 42# cought but how often does it happen. if you got the drag set right it will not be a problem the 42 # on 40 pound braid with a 80 # leaders.

most musky are 42 -46 inches and ware the monsters are about 62-65 inches which would be a state record if any thing. the 62-65 inch fish are pushing 42 pounds or more the master angler entry size minum is 42 inches for tiger and great lakes and northen muskys minum weight is 20 pounds for all three .

any ways wish you the best of luck. hope it more then i have had with them mite even want to contact some chater services to help you get a idea about what to do.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
If wondering which braid to buy ask about or search first like I did and came up with this point about fire line. from link below. any ways i think mono is best for fishing but power pro is just as good if you read the article i have had problem with fire line crystal from not haveing fish bite etc.... etc... fray line etc..... etc....
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423154&page=2

Repeated casting with Fireline WILL cause it to fray because it is a fused line. Power Pro will not fray with repeated casting.

I started using Fireline when it first came out and like it alot and used it for casting off the piers and in the river. After extended use it does fray causing it to weaken somewhat. I tried Power Pro for casting and will not go back to Fireline.

IMHO... for applications that does not call for repeated casting... Fireline is a good line to use... but I like Power Pro much better because it does last longer.

Take it for what its worth!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts