Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fishing partner and I would like to plan a week fishing for walleye. We are not ready for the professional walleye tour, but we do occasionally catch a few walleyes. We'd like to go somewhere that we could go out each day and be successful at catching some fish. Ideally it would be in Michigan (or somewhere relatively close). We prefer lake fishing to river fishing, but all suggestions would be considered. We're not asking for any closely guarded secrets, but would appreciate any information you could provide about spots that have given you good fishing in the past. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
Come to Lake Saint Clair when the Lilacs bloom!

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
LSC was good for Walleye last year but that varies a bit year to year. The western basin of Lake Erie is another good spot to consider. I don't fish many inland lakes so maybe others can comment on those.

·
Registered
900 Posts
LSC, Saginaw Bay, Lake Erie are all good bodies of water to get some walleye. If your not against a longer drive Bay De Noc and Lake Goegebic are also good possiblities if time permits.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't know how big of a boat you have so it is hard to suggest. My first suggestion would be lake Erie around mid april in Port Clinton, OH, tons of fish on the reefs to catch and if you are set up to troll there are some real hogs waiting for you out there. The limit has been lowered to 3 fish during the early part of the season there but at least you can still fish it, closed in MI for April and May.
My second suggestion would be Saginaw bay, again though this takes a very sea worthy boat because it can get rough in a hurry. The fishing is usally pertty good out there July and August, when we get water temps around the 72-74 degree mark you can usually count on limits if you can get on the water. This is mainly a trolling bite with crawler harnesses or hot-n-tots. I usally fish the west side of the bay anywhere from Augres south to the river mouth.

Good Fishing

Tim

·
Registered
839 Posts
Bowhunter;I,see your profile says Grand Ledge.Sessions lake, in Ionia,county has good numbers of walleye,large & small mouth bass,and is not far from GL. It is a manmade lake by the damming of sessions creek,and is stocked.You do have to pay a state access charge,but still would be cheaper than driving across the state,and probably have to pay access anyway.The other spots mentioned are good,also,but thought you might like something closer to home.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great subject to post about!

One suggestion I'd have is to follow the tournaments in the state and fish the times around them for a couple of reasons:

First, the tournament organizers typically try to select the locations at prime time to show off the fishery. It is always deemed more successful if there are numbers and size turned in at the stage.

Second, if you are fishing in the area and can be around the weigh-in, most of the anglers are very open to discussing what they did - this is at the final weigh-in, though - very tight lips before that! I know that when the MWT fished at Sault St Marie for the 2003 championship, we had quite a few folks - both locals and vacationing anglers - hang around and discuss the days fishing. One day, I spent about 2 hours talking with a couple people up there and feel we both learned some info - They shared a couple areas I had not had a chance to fish and I shared some techniques they were not familiar using.

As far as trips go, I'd recommend the Detroit River from mid-April through mid-May, Saginaw Bay in July and August (hit the areas around Little Charity Is when warmer water is in - launch at the DNR site in Au Gres, and Lake Erie. Houghton and Hubbard lakes have numbers of walleye, but not size - depends what you are looking for. Also, the St Mary's river system from the Soo to Raber bay has more walleye areas than a guy can check out - but that is late July through Sept action as the water will warm to decent walleye temps.

Lake Erie is fantastic. I'd agree with the other posts. Go to Port Clinton and fish around the islands and reefs from ice out through late June. Last year before a tournament, we had 2 successive days with over 25 fish each day and nothing under 26" - largest were a pair of 31" fish - they were released. The scary thing is that is not that uncommon. The Michigan waters of Erie have had tons of walleyes every summer, but not the size. For the past 3 years, it has been relatively easy fishing out of Bolles, Sterling or Eliz Park on Erie in MI. In my book, Erie is the best walleye fishery on the map.

The MWT (Michigan Walleye Tour), RCL League, MWC (Masters Walleye Circuit) and the GNWC all have published shcedules of their events in MI on their websites.

Sorry for the long post. Best of luck with your plans.
Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey BobB, Pat Cavins here. Hopefully this is the Bob I know. What have you been up to. I'll be over your way for the MWC at Saginaw Bay. We'll have to get together & swap lies. See Ya Pat

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Lake Charlevoux and Hubbard Lake both hold really good populations of walleyes...

So do Big and Little Manistique Lakes in the UP...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Pat,

Yup, it's me. We'll definitely have to get together around the MWC time. A friend and I are planning to fish it if it doesn't fill. My only regret is that it will be out of Hoyle's and not out of Au Gres.

There is a ton of activity on Saginaw this year - should be a great time.

Take care and I'll see you down the road.
Bob

·
Registered
449 Posts
My advice is: Take a look at Houghton Lake, alot of different fish to fish for.Lots of walleyes,pike,crappie,bass,perch.,that are all easy to catch.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great tips. We're starting our research on which lake/lakes to try. If anyone else has other suggestions, feel free to post them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bob, I noticed that you are from Alpena. You didn't mention any good walleye fishing from your area. I once worked with a guy that claimed his neighbor would catch 2 to 5 walleyes a night. He claimed that the majority of the fish were over 10 pounds with some pushing 13 pounds. He said he was fall fishing somewhere out of Oscoda.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you want to catch good numers of walleye head north into Ontario. I can point you in the direction of lakes where 100+walleye a boat a day is common.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cheez-

You are correct - I didn't mention anything close to home. Best bet for numbers would be Hubbard in the fall - lots of smaller fish. The original post said "day" and you are also correct in that we have a pretty good night bite up here.

It can be spotty and I truly think that for quality, quantity, and consistency, it is extremely hard to beat Lake Erie pretty much anytime of the year. Saginaw would be second in my book with timing being much more of an issue.

As far as our area, the last NiteEyes tournament that was held up here weighed in 99 fish totaling 599 lbs - a solid 6# average - many were released as well. Largest in that event was a tad over 8.5# if I remember. That is not quite the 10lb+ you said your co-worker mentioned. I would believe the 2-5 fish per night - some times it is worse, many time it is better, but all over 10lb+ really sounds like an exaggeration. Fish over 30" (10lb ish) are not every night ocurrences. We will get them, but not all of them are that big. Jenny Olson got one when they ventured up this way - it was 1 of only 3 fish that night, though.

It seems that 10lb walleye are very similar to 20# salmon - many say they are caught until the scale or tape proves differently - seen that over and over and over at the fish cleaning station in town. When folks that are used to inland lakes and 18" fish tie into a mess of 8# eyes, they sure can look like 10#!

There are definitely some monsters swimming around and maybe he did figure out a pattern to consistently produce the big ones. Would love to see (and actually fish!) it sometime. Get more info, ha. You did say he was fishing in the fall and the above event was in the spring. Not many folks here fish the fall night bite...but it can be good too. The spring bite gets the most attention. I'm looking forward to trying some new places this spring.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts