Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All, Last night the Rochester Hills City council voted 5-2 to approve the culling of up to 200 deer from their city via Sheriff Dept sharpshooters. Although, I dont imagine they will come close to that number, they will certainly get many deer.

The Michigan Sportsmen Against Hunger program will be working with the city and Sheriff's Department to make sure the deer are field dressed, taken to a local processor, and distributed to needy people in the area.

We have not worked out all the details but, the shooting will generally be done at night, in the months of Jan/Feb., the deer will be moved to a secured undisclosed location where some physical data will be taken (age, weights, etc) and the deer will be field dressed and prepared to be taken to the processor.

At this point I am looking for volunteers that can donate some of their time to this effort. I will update interested parties of new developments as they occur.

Thank you,

Neal

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I would be interested in helping out.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I would also be interested! (586)610-3896

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Are you looking for sharp shooters or field dressers ? :evil:

At this point I am looking for volunteers that can donate some of their time to this effort. I will update interested parties of new developments as they occur.
Neal

·
Registered
638 Posts
Did the board consider opening up bowhunting in that area instead and allow hunters to do the thinning? I know the meat is going to a good cause but it seems like hunters in this area have very limited and overcrowded public land options and this would open up some prime areas for them.

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the board consider opening up bowhunting in that area instead and allow hunters to do the thinning? I know the meat is going to a good cause but it seems like hunters in this area have very limited and overcrowded public land options and this would open up some prime areas for them.
It was considered, but rather quickly taken off the table. There is a lot of ignorance and mis-information about using bowhunting as a tool of herd reduction. I see this as an opportunity to get our foot in the door and bend some ears about the truths of hunting.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Team Due51 is ready, willing, licensed, and able to help.

And we don't have to travel far. There's 20 acres in RH across the street from me. We'd be more than willing to do our part.............for the good of the cause, of course.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It was considered, but rather quickly taken off the table. There is a lot of ignorance and mis-information about using bowhunting as a tool of herd reduction. I see this as an opportunity to get our foot in the door and bend some ears about the truths of hunting.

Sounds like a good start. Keep up the hard work.

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Team Due51 is ready, willing, licensed, and able to help.

And we don't have to travel far. There's 20 acres in RH across the street from me. We'd be more than willing to do our part.............for the good of the cause, of course.
You dont need a license to gut deer....fyi

·
Registered
120 Posts
They did.. but opted for the sharp shooters instead?? I'm wondering who's neighborhood they'll start in. I've got a tree house over looking the neighbors bait pile/bird feeder jk. I think it's a good idea I see dead deer along the road all the time. I've hit 1, my dad has 2 and my brother got hit by 1.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts