Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble walking any distance at all, so, I am thinking of an ATV for ice fishing, but which one?
From what I know so far it must be 4x4 and as big a dia. wheels as I can get for snow clearance. A 360 to 500cc should do it for engine. These machines come in from 520 to 600 lbs. and will tow about 1,100 lbs.
For the ATV and my combined weight, I figure 5" of good ice will do it
Will get a trailer also.
Now how well do these machines work in deep snow or what ever I have to contend with. Is It worth while getting an ATV for ice fishing, how about hunting?
I am open to all suggestions,

Thanks,

bentrod

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
As for the snow it all depeans on the tires you have on it i have seen sum go through a foot of snow befor. We have been looking at the sportsmen 800 lately we like that cause you can get the tracks for it would would help alot in snow.a 4 wheel would be great for hunting and ice fishing for hunting tho i would want a bigger one with a winch on it just in case but for ice fishing you could get a 400 or a 450 and get along good it would work for hunting to but where we hunt bigger is better lol.. On the ice i wouldnt go on 5 inchs with a quad to me that is about when i feel safe walking i would wait till 7 or 8 inchs of good clear blue ice befor i would take it out there..

i hope i could of atleast help you sum

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would look into the bombardier 400 nice manchine[two up.] I would look for something with independent susspension a lot better ride. they all got good atv its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
302 Posts
Purchased a Honda 450 auto. trans. Have had no problems at all. Put chains on all 4's and have never gottin stuck in the snow. Pull a S-10 out of the snow once.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
bentrod said:
For the ATV and my combined weight, I figure 5" of good ice will do it. Will get a trailer also. Now how well do these machines work in deep snow or what ever I have to contend with. Is It worth while getting an ATV for ice fishing, how about hunting?
I am open to all suggestions,
Five inches of ice is marginal, I'd figure a little more. Atv's do not do well in deep snow. By deep I mean a foot and a half plus. About what a standard 4X4 truck will do. Two season's ago, from mid January to mid February an ATV was useless in my neck of the woods, too much snow. Only the snowmobiles were running. If you're fishing mid to southern Michigan, an atv does fine 95% of the time, but if you are in a snow belt area, a sled might be better.

I have used mine for hunting more than I thought I would, yard work and hauling around boats and trailers too. I'm considering getting a plow for doing the driveway.

I would recommend getting an auto transmission if you'll be using it mostly for utility. I like having a 2wd or 4wd shift feature. I pretty much run 2wd until the snow hits.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I just bought one specificly for ice fishing, Arctic Cat 400 4x4. One thing that really bothers me is all the laws regarding ATV's. For instance, "where you can ride them", "riding double", "helmets",,,,,,,, :dizzy:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Lots of dumb laws for us icefishrmen. I have a Atctic Cat 300 4x4 and have been in 1 and a half feet plus with my 4x8 utility trailer behind me and done just fine, you just have to go a little bit slower but that is no problem for me.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Honda Rancher 400AT with GPS built in, 4 wheel drive, automatic transmission and chains on the rear tires. I was told that chains on the front tires are dangerous, especially if one of the chains lets loose. When I go to Lake Simco the snow can cause proplems. The snow will pack under the belly of the machine and you are left spinning all 4 wheels hung in the air. Bring along a shovel to dig out. In Canada you can have 2 riders. With a second rider on the back I do much better. Hardly ever get stuck. Power is not the problem. I pull a sled with gear inside and 2 ice shantys straped on top. I bought the atv because I have a heart problem and with the meds I fatigue very easily. I also go out 3 to 4 miles.

We pulled an atv trailer that had the small diameter tires. Through the deep drifts the tires would plough the snow rather than riding over it. On the ice there was no problem.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
JJ Mac said:
Five inches of ice is marginal, I'd figure a little more. Atv's do not do well in deep snow. By deep I mean a foot and a half plus. About what a standard 4X4 truck will do. Two season's ago, from mid January to mid February an ATV was useless in my neck of the woods, too much snow. Only the snowmobiles were running. If you're fishing mid to southern Michigan, an atv does fine 95% of the time, but if you are in a snow belt area, a sled might be better.

:yeahthat: 2 seasons ago..like JJmac said....I purchased a new Honda foreman...snow was so deep...you would not see a single 4-wheeler on the ice up on Houghton lake...it was snowmobile only travel!! I only put 22 miles on the 4-wheeler that season!! Thankfully...had a couple of those also!!.......But those seasons aren't common.....I much prefer going out with the 4-wheeler as I have mine all geared up strictly for icefishing...so much easier to get everything out there and back!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I to have a honda foreman 450 and it has been a great machine.I have been through alot of snow with this machine and only had it stuck once and it was in about 2 1/2 ft of snow in the middle of a corn field.Needless to say that was the only time i could have used my winch and there was nothing to hook it to but cornstalks.The thing i like about it is the transmission.Alot of the manufactures out there use belt drive and maybe there ok but i now i dont ever have to worrry about blowing a belt.Mine is also foot shift instead of push button shift.I figure its one less thing to break this way.Only thing i have to worry about is breaking my foot off

·
Registered
833 Posts
just a suggestion but price around- we bought our polaris sportsman 400 from munising pro sports in the U.P. No one around here could touch their price. We saved a huge amount even with the gas it took to go up but we have a cabin near there so it was a good excuse to go for a vacaction.....

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I've got a Honda Recon (250 2WD). I bogs down in deep snow, but is light enough that either end can be picked up and moved easily. I'd go 4WD if I had it to do again.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I like the Arctic Cats. Lots of clearance. I don't have one but if I was going to get one that one would be at the top of the list. I just think clearance is your biggest concern when running them on the snow.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Here's my dad's new toy for this season. Bombardier 650 and we outfitted for the tracks to use in the snow belt area. As mentioned, we had alot of snow early on tw seasons ago. On Higgins, even the snowmobiliers were having a hard time out there due to the slush. This machine has them beat.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
LOL :lol: :yikes: Now thats a mean machine!! Also see now they have a track system covers your rear wheel and has a extension with another set of wheels with the track going around them...It makes it look like a six wheeler...but the rear wheels are just to xtend the track!!

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I have a 300 and a 700 King Quad and have yet to get stuck with either. Spending the dollars for a new one just for ice fishing seems kinda goofy to me. I use mine for towing a mowing deck to do the yard, the bigger one has a Moose County Plow on it and I do my driveway which is quite long. The 300 used to do the job just fine, but the 700 is way better because of the weight. Look for a good used sled or quad if it is just for the ice.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I got a 660 cow grizzly and love it never ever ever been stuck. Last year I was going all over with no problems

·
Registered
146 Posts
i have a 6x6 argo and have no problems at all. I even spent time pullin 4 wheelers out of the snow and bustin trail so they could get out fishin. and it pulls 1100 lbs.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yamaha 660 Rhino, 27" 589's with studs and never came close to sticking it. Whenever it bogged down, I'd spin a little, grab ice and go.

The thing is a bit pricy but at the time I was considering the law (of two up) and was going to buy a second quad for my dad. With that considered, the Rhino was cheaper than two quads. I threw a makeshift windshield on it, bought some ramps to strap on it for crossing cracks, and a gun holder for the obvious. Also, it runs along in the low 40's mph. My wife thinks I baby that thing more than anybody in the household.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I love my honda, there engines are bullet proof.. I have a 1991 honda fourtrax & a 2001 Rancher. The 1991 still runs like brand new!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts