Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about re-loading for my 20ga. Hunting and target loads. I'm looking at a Lee Load All press to start with. Is this press any good? Can I cover a wide variety of loads with this press? It says it comes w/ 24 bushings for different charges, Is this enough?

I just don't want to buy a press and then find out that I need to upgrade in a year. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg and find out I don't like the hobby. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I bought a Lee Load All when I first started reloading shotshells. It does an OK job but there are many better presses out there. I soon got MEC 600 JR presses, one for 20 and one for 12 ga. Each has loaded many thousands of rounds with nary a bobble or burp. These are manual presses and while not fast, will do an excellent job on all hunting and target loads.

Even more important is to get a good reloading manual and follow the recipies for loads carefully. The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook is excellent. Have fun.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Lee press will work and may meet your needs. If I were going to buy a shotshell press today, it would be a MEC SizeMaster. They are discounted at some stores and will last a liftetime and represent real value. MEC has a website at www.mayvl.com. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought a LEE load all II in 20 gauge but I don't like the crimps. I replaced it with a MEC 650 and I like it much better. If you want a Load all II ,I still have mine and I'll sell it cheap.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I need to jump in with both feet and get something worth the $$$.

Another hobby started, my wife should be thrilled.........

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Yep,... you can't go wrong with a MEC,... they'll last you a lifetime!

I've got one too for my 12 ga. auto primer feed and all! ;)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I use a MEC sizemaster and like it very much. I just made a deal to get a MEC grabber, which is a progresive press. Still manual but few handle pulls per loaded shell. Get good stuff, and only buy once.

Or like some of us who addict easily, buy a good one and then later another good one :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are better and worse presses than the Mec, but they are hard to beat for the money.
I have a 600Jr single stage for loading hunting loads, and I used to use it for loading trap/skeet loads. If you get into trap, skeet or sporting clays, a single stage gets old quick. I bought a Mec Grabber about 20 yrs ago, and it works great, although I dont use it much anymore because I'm shooting more pistol and HP these days. You dont save a whole lot anymore by reloading shotgun shells.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts