Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My family and I are visiting MI next week and we are planning on kayaking the au sable. I grew up in MI (now live in NE), but haven't spent time on the au sable before, so I'm not sure where the best place to go is.

Originally, we were going to go to Oscoda and find a place to rent kayaks there...but, then I was looking online and it looked like starting in Mio may be a better, more scenic section of the river.

Anyone have any recommendations on what section to kayak? How about the best place to rent from?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I like McMasters to parmalle bridge section...both scenic, big enough for yak and tubes. Also Smith bridge(south branch) to McMasters as well.

·
Premium Member
16,296 Posts
Lots of great sections to concider. I like the smith bridge to mcmasters bridge trip. Its a bit shallow now until oxbow club but we went on 4th of july and never saw a soul, until we hit conners flats.The north branch is another one of my favorites. Morely road to parmalee is tops.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
http://bearpawcabinsandcanoes.com/index.php

They do trips on a couple different rivers
We have our own canoes and they spotted our truck for us.
They're good people and know the river system
We done the "mason tract" from Chase Bridge to Smith Bridge July 4TH seen only four other groups.The Mason Tract is all State land with no cottages on the river.A couple of cottages near Chase Bridge and a couple near Smith Bridge the rest is like a wilderness setting. We just floated and it was a seven hour trip with a break for lunch @ the "Chapel".

Quietly floated past: trout,raccoon,ducks,muskrats,and deer mid day with 90+ degree temps.

Make sure you take sun screen and bug spray the deer flies can be annoying . I seen other treads/post of people using "Tangle foot" or fly paper on blue solo cups to catch the deer flies,seems they're attracted to the color blue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts