Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41,417 Posts
My daughter has been using a 270 Winchester since she has been 14. Less kick than a 20 gauge. I have her practice with managed recoil but resight and have her hunt with 140gr. She doesn’t notice the difference.

·
Registered
876 Posts
270 much less recoil then a 20 gauge slug.
How old is she ? My daughter was 12 when shot my 450 with no problem... Was on a bogbod rest. Pretty much takes brunt of "kick" not that a 450 kicks. Kicks less then a 20 gauge slug gun ;)
What Is the Recoil on a 20-gauge Shotgun Like? A 20-gauge shotgun produces between 11 and 19 ft-lbs of recoil energy depending on the load that is used. Most people find the recoil of a 20-gauge shotgun to be similar to that of a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. The recoil is mild for any adult and most youth shooters.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
If she is allowed to hunt with the 270, then get that and don't look back. The 270 will have more muzzle blast, but the same or less recoil. Don't saddle her with a shotgun if you don't have to.

·
Registered
996 Posts
On the other hand, the shotgun is far more useful/versatile. A .270 is only taking deer and bear in MI while the shotgun can take those and a plethora of other game species (not to mention clay sports and such).

·
Registered
94 Posts
My daughter is about 5 foot 2 and 115 pounds. How’s the recoil of a 270 vs a 20 gauge slug. Unfortunately, I’ve never shot a 270 before and any opinions would be appreciated for next year.
You should also check out a Past shoulder recoil pad for her. Takes the bite out of felt recoil.
It fits the shoulder perfectly, and has a strap to go around chest.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Reactions: Loryn’s Dad

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think the key factor is gun fit and recoil absorption. I’ve seen 20’s that would cut your cheek from bad stock design, and .270’s that would bruise your shoulder (in a T-shirt) for the same season. So, the old list of recoil management applies regardless of choice:

—Fit the gun to the shooter. The stock cannot be too long while in shooting position where the recoil is going to bruise bone.
—Use a new or engineered recoil pad. I like Limbsavers, but there are lots of good options.
—Consider whether she wants to wear a PAST pad as suggested above. They really help, especially for range sessions (who feels recoil shooting at game?).
—A semi auto USUALLY kicks less than a bolt or single, but this assumes “all else being equal.”
—Reduced loads off the shelf or reloaded are a HUGE help. A 130 grain bullet at 2600-2700 will kick less than most factory loads and will kill deer stone dead at woods ranges.

Good luck and tell us what you choose!

·
Registered
15,668 Posts
What Is the Recoil on a 20-gauge Shotgun Like? A 20-gauge shotgun produces between 11 and 19 ft-lbs of recoil energy depending on the load that is used. Most people find the recoil of a 20-gauge shotgun to be similar to that of a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. The recoil is mild for any adult and most youth shooters.

Here are the 20 gauge slug choices with recoil. Ranges up to 31ft-lbs. .270 is about 16ft-lbs. As luv2hunt said you can practice with managed recoil loads on the 270 and shoot 40% less recoil to learn. Hard to do that with a 20ga slug.

The chart is showing firearm weight and recoil in ft-lbs
Font Rectangle Number Parallel Screenshot

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 20 of 47 Posts