Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Need Advice - Best place in US to go on fishing trip - Honeymoon?????????????????????

4K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  kroppe 
#1 ·
All,

My soon to be wife and I (Aug 27th, 2004) are trying to plan a honeymoon to a good fishing destination. We have done the warm weather beach thing too many times and a trip like that doesn't fit in our budget at this time. We both love the outdoors and fishing. We don't want to go camping in the middle of nowhere but a cottage or resort somewhere that offers some fun activities sounds good. Can anyone recommend a place in the US? We usually fish for bass, walleye, etc. Any species of fish is fine just as long as the fishing is good. The honeymoon is planned for the first week in September, 2004. Any info is welcome.

Mike

#2 ·
Whibdey Island WA. There are places you can catch Silvers right off the beach. There's crabbing for Dungeness, clamming, oystering, and any number of other things. B & B's are a dime a dozen, and there are cottages. Washington is a great place to honeymoon.

#5 ·
Probably not the best,but when I got married , my wife and I camped at ,Shired(sheer-ed) Island,Florida. That is about 20 miles north of Suwannee,and just south of Horse Shoe Beach. Her father belonged to a hunt club that leased land in that area.We caught some really nice Redfish,Speckled & Siver trout,in a drain from the tidal swamp,called Shired creek. A local give us a burlap bag full of fresh oysters. I, fired up the smoker at the campsite,and enjoyed myself for a few days. The no-seeums got a little thick at dusk,but as the night cooled down they disappeared.
There was a guy with an 800 power telescope,mounted on a truck. He came there to stargaze,as it was one of the darkest places in the United States. I think he was a professer at Gainesville(U of F).

Copper Harbor, the Keweena penninsula,and the Porkupine Mts. are nice that time of year. The only time I've been there was the first week in September(1980),and I, loved it.

#7 ·
Thanks fishing addict!

My grandfather has a place in Florida whom we have visited quite often. We were thinking of trying something totally new.

Lunker,

Can you be a little more specific? I have never been out west. What is good to fish for out there? Where exactly?

Keep it up guys this is good info...

#9 ·
I know you don't want to leave the US but Puerto Vallarta has awesome Fishing. Sailfish and MAHI MAHI abound. You can get out on a 20' Panga and have a absolute rippin time for Sails. Stay at Camino Real just out of town. Give it a Shot. If you want to stay local get a place on lake St Clair for some world Class Muskie Fishing Mitchells Bay or BassHaven rents places. Good Luck with the Nuptials!

PikerPete

#11 ·
Now if were leaving the country,Grand Cayman,in the British West Indies,is a paradice,too.

Great fishing and some of the best snorkling and diving in the world.

I,made 28 trips to there in 5 years,when I was working as an Ironworker.Not such a great place to have to work.But when we were not working,it was fantantastic.

They even speak English--well...err - - sort of?? You can almost understand them,most of the time.

I,definately enjoyed catching Bonefish on the flats,Tarpon in the canals,and Barracuda,Tuna,&Wahoo offshore. Even caught a Tuna from the ironshore,and a barracuda in a canal that was green and from the brackish water.Made it look like a pike.

If you are not working there,you don't need a passport.Just a voterID.

I was even there once when it got down to 53 degrees.There coldest temperature on record. Let me know if you need a guide.I've had enough of this winter #@!&*(%? already!!!

#12 ·
We will probably stay in the country for $ reasons and were even thinging about driving somewhere. Toledo Bend sounds like a good time. I found a cottage and fishing guide and the price seems reasonable. I was thinking of towing our jet ski (actually my parents) down and renting a boat when we wanted one. I don't really know what else there is to do down there except fish. Anyone know?

#13 ·
Mschmidt, I think there must be over one hundred peirs on the California coast. My favorites were Santa Monica, San Deigo, Hermossa and a bunch more I cant remeber. I liked them all. I guess air line prices are back up now but it was pretty hard to beat. I flew there and back for about 250. It was the best trip Ive ever been on. You can rent a car there with unlimited mileage and go where ever you may roam. I have never been to the keys but that sounds nice too. Florida fishing is real nice this time of year. My uncle goes there alot and had fun staying at his buddies but its pretty expensive without. Ive been to Bar Harbor too and the mackeral fishing was a blast, pretty good fresh too. The restraunts are way overpriced and unfreindly. The shop owners were cool. The wild life was very nice, big mountains, moose, good fishing in the lakes, wild blueberries,great photograghy. I camped and ate pike and blueberries for breakfast. The seafood is best if you find a market and cook it yourself.

#14 ·
Niagara Falls. Plenty to do, plenty to see, fairly affordable, good fishing on the river and in the big lake! Went on my honeymoon there 1 1/2 ago and can't wait to go back.

Gunflint Lodge in Minnesota would also be a goo trip, especially that time of year. We have a cabin in that neck of the woods and August is probably my favorite time to go (well anytime is a good time there). Great fishing and tons to do. If staying for a week I can guarantee a moose sighting.

http://www.honeymoonminnesota.com/
http://www.gunflint.com/

#15 ·
Are you looking to stay in the Midwest, lower 48, Alaska?? If your looking to venture out, Maine would be awesome for smallies that time of year, look around Grand Lake Stream, Maine. I'm not too sure about the walleye population in Maine. If your looking for something closer, think about the finger lakes of western New York, I think they have a good mixed bag of fish, are very scenic, and accomodations abound. I have also heard of good things about Lake Champlain in Vermont. Lake of the Woods and anything along the border up there is good in September, but it may be too much of a fishing camp atmosphere for a honeymoon. Its still probably a bit early at that time, but you could look at some of the Southern Reservoirs that hold big walleye (e.g. Greer's Ferry, Arkansas).

They're aren't as many places out west where you can get a good mixed bag for Bass and Walleye. There are good reservoirs along the Missouri River and I know the Columbia River holds big Walleyes, don't know about bass. The west definitely has many beautiful areas, but trout is king in the west (mountain streams, etc...)

#23 ·
awsome place ... the fishing is great.... bass.. get a guide .. the timber is every where just under the water... the guide we had thought is was funny runnig at 65mph in the timber...(young dumb ) was one of the best trips ever ... right up there with 2 weeks fishing the mexico baja.. try the striper fishing if you go.. don't .. just chase the bass :D lake texoma is another great lake with small, large mouthbass & stripers its on the border OK & TEX.. there nothing like casting to stripes on the surface in large schools in the 10 to 15lb range makes the arms hurt thats for sure... lake texoma may fit your bill just right(do a river trip behind dam for stripers & any use the same guide to do your lake trip) ... e-mail me if you need some more info on lakes in north texas area :)

#26 ·
The Garden River near Sault Sainte Marie Ontario will just start to be picking up for its Pink and Chinook Salmon runs. Unbelielavble fishing.

The North Shore of Lake Superior has spectacular scenery as well as numerous lakes with lots of Walleye and Pike.

A great trip would be fishing in the Sault region and then either on the way there or the way back, doing a night or two on Mackinaw Island.

Otherwise, Sanibel Island off the SW coast of Florida is a great place and is a great deal at that time of year. Lots of saltwater fishing off the beach, the Everglades are an hour and a half away and the Island has many charming restaurants.

If I had to do it all over again, my #1 honeymoon choice would be two weeks driving around Alaska in late August fishing for silvers, rainbows and dolly varden char!

Have fun.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.