Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a rod builder in Michigan that can build me a good/decent salmon rod with a michigan style handle for fishing the fall salmon run specifically on the Betsie river. I can't stand the rods the industry puts out with those huge back handles and no foregrip. I will be using around 10 lb. test with an 8lb. flouro leader and with size 6 or 8 egg flies. So I am looking for something to cast the light gear and still sensitive enough to feel the very lite bite.

My thoughts are 9.5 - 10.5' medium light Spinning rod with a moderate action. Looking to spend up to $150.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right page with the action? Do I want a medium action? I would think fast action is probably too stiff for the egg flies?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
In my opinion, plan to spend a bit more. 150 is pretty low for a custom stick. Especially true if you want a quality stick. Blanks alone cost around half that budget on average. Tack on another 100 or so in my opinion.

For your technique though, your specs seem on par. Mod or mod fast is my personal preference for kings.

If 150 is your true top end budget, look at the Fenwick hmx lineup on their site.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Adam is on the right train of thought, however if you truly want a custom rod made with a quality blank and hardware you can figure on someplace north of $250-300 on the low side. I have a couple of different Fenwicks and for the money a very nice rod.
Here is a link to the HMX line of rods, two different styles of spin handles to choose from.
http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater/#prefn1=ZZSERIES&prefv1=Fenwick%20HMX

D

Reactions: itchn2fish

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If Jay's willing to offload that xst in your budget, go for it! Its likely built by him I assume, and his work is top notch!

Denny, you are correct, I should have mentioned 250 as the low end, not the average nor high.

Ya got a few options offered here in your budget though, and really all will suit your needs just fine.

Jay if he doesn't pick up that 10'6, I might want to look into it! I'll let him have first dibs though of course. Shoot me a message with details if he turns it down.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If you want a custom rod, you can not beat the work that Wyandot does on his rods and the XST is a wonderful blank. As Adam said I might now be 3rd in line for the rod if Jay decides to let it go.

D

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you want a custom rod, you can not beat the work that Wyandot does on his rods and the XST is a wonderful blank. As Adam said I might now be 3rd in line for the rod if Jay decides to let it go.

Sent it off to it's new owner this afternoon. You know there's always more where that one came from Denny. Who knows, maybe Santa will leave something under the tree if you're reaaaaaaaally good.
D

·
Registered
731 Posts
I agree on the "stupid long" butt handle part. I don't understand that either.

since you can't find an off the shelf salmon rod with a short butt handle, I just use a fly rod with a spinning reel.

You sacrifice casting distance using a fly rod, but its not a lot. The small 1st eye reduces the distance a bit. Its not a deal killer and you definitely won't be casting long distances on the Betsy river, so you won't even know it.

In addition, you can get 4 piece rods that fit very snugly in a small diameter rod tube. I make my own out of PVC pipe. Less than $6.

I just picked up a Cabela's 10 weight just for this reason. It was $98 and it has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have never owned a custom rod, but had seen on this website (some time ago, have not seen him on here recently) a guy who made custom rods. I believe his name was Steve Hutchins. The pictures I saw of his rods were beautiful. Unsure of how much they cost though.

Perhaps using the search function would help.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Steve does some cool work, and his rods are definitely built to last! They are definitely louder than most builds, and he describes them himself as "bling wraps". I had him build one several years back now. It turned out beautifully, and I have banked plenty of fish, including a trophy king with it!

I also fished with him a few years back, hilarious guy, and a hell of an angler.

He hasn't been active on here in years, but I hear he had been active on Facebook.

I believe he's taking a break from rod building from what I've heard. Hopefully he gets back on it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks Adam. Always wanted a custom built rod, just never had the funds to have one made.

As I mentioned, haven't seen him on in here in quite some time. Anyone else you could recommend for custom builds, just in case, one day I can afford to have one made.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Thanks Adam. Always wanted a custom built rod, just never had the funds to have one made.

As I mentioned, haven't seen him on in here in quite some time. Anyone else you could recommend for custom builds, just in case, one day I can afford to have one made.
Check with Wyandot, he might be able to help you, does fantastic builds.

D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Steve Hutchins aka Thousandcasts from this site has been experiencing some significant medical issues. Last week he set up a gofundme page to help with his medical expenses. He clearly has had some issues recently and the gofundme page explains the reasons for those issues. Looks like he has been trying to get help and has been working through it. I used to fish with him and used to buy rods from him up until about 3 years ago. Now I understand what he was going through and why he didn't tell me about it. Hoping God and the doctors can get him through this!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.