Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,679 Posts
Call these guys

I bet they can weld a spindle and sell you some hubs. Most trailer places are busy with lawn dogs, but worth a shot. Dealt with them for almost 20 years
That ghetto dive coney island around the corner on Dequindre makes a great coney. Chili has a nice bite to it. And stay out of the curb lanes of 10 Mile between Ryan and Dequindre until you are ready to turn. They are a freaking mess. Most washboard dirt roads are better......... Thanks Mayor Fouts. LOL

Reactions: Shoeman

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Richfield Trailer in Flint is the place to go. I nedded a pair of axles last year and their price blew away all the others mentioned in this thread. And they had the parts in stock (most others had to order or custom build).

The problem you will have is if you find an axle it either won't be the proper overall width and/or the spring seats will not be in the correct locations.

I had to modify the ones I got but still ended up way less than the quotes everywhere else.
20200520_150754.jpg
20200521_163530.jpg
20200521_163537.jpg
20200521_163543.jpg
20200521_164755.jpg

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Richfield Trailer in Flint is the place to go. I nedded a pair of axles last year and their price blew away all the others mentioned in this thread. And they had the parts in stock (most others had to order or custom build).

The problem you will have is if you find an axle it either won't be the proper overall width and/or the spring seats will not be in the correct locations.

I had to modify the ones I got but still ended up way less than the quotes everywhere else. View attachment 761139 View attachment 761140 View attachment 761141 View attachment 761142 View attachment 761143

Nice welds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you sure you need an axle with those bends in it, a few years ago I replaced the 3500lb axle with that V bend on my 18ft Lund trailer with 5000lb straight axle with no issues still had plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Make sure you have the trailer alignment performed loaded or you will eat tires.

Heralds Frame shop in Novi did minevtears ago. Ajax trail is another

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Wow I worked at Harolds frame shop (the original one on 8 mile in Detroit) back around 1980

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I didn’t read a suggestion to pull the axle and take it to a shop and weld on a new backing plate assembly.
If I read correctly, the trailer was loaded and not safe to transport. Pulling the axle isn’t really difficult, it does require some physical strength. I did a dump trailer a couple years ago and will hit sixty this year. However I use the muscle between my ears more than I did when I was younger. I cuss a lot less as well.
I don’t know where the OP resides. I was very pleased with the knowledge and workmanship that I received from a shop on Dixie Hwy, I believe near Scott Lake in Waterford. I bought parts from Ajax in the past, they were knowledgeable.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That shop in Waterford on Dixie hwy btwn scott lake and telegraph was MR. Trailer.
It was a great place, but closed last summer. May he R.I.P..
Thus I am very interested in this thread because I lost my "go to guy". Sounds like Richfield Trailer in Flint will be in my future someday.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’d replace the whole thing and get sealed hubs this time around.

Lockemans is listed as a Karavan dealer. They should be able to get you the right replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Would be a bit of a drive for you but I just had a axle made for my utility trailer #3500, Joe’s Trailer Mfg, in Livonia.
I will be headed there after work. I will be asking if they can just weld a spindle or would recomend a new axle. Honestly whatever is safer and quicker at this point.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wanna say they did my whole new axle with 4” drop around $300.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts