Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up some hevi-shot today... all they had was #2 or #6. i opted for the 2. the guy there didn't really have much advise to offer. :rolleyes: anyways... what i am wondering is if i might be able to get away with running an imp cyl choke with the #2's, or should i just stick with the mod? i want to have some duck left when it hits the water... opinions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go with the mod....i've done it before, you will still have something other than feathers. Imp. Cyl. works pretty well if you're getting them in close but I usually just put modified in for the season.

Casey

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
remember, a quick rule of thumb when using hevi's is that you actually can go 2 sizes smaller in shot!

for steel, it used to be "go two sizes up" - so if you shot #4 lead, you opted for #2 steel.

with heavy, you can go the other way. Lots of guys actually prefer the #6 hevi shot for their duck work.

#4 is more than enough for geese.

2 and bb's I have to believe is for pass shooting snows or just becuase WE asked for it! if there's a market, they'll fill it! :p

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've read quite a few articles and shot quite a few boxes of Hevi and the more open choke is recommended. I usually put a couple boxes of #2 thru an improved cylinder during goose season and at least for me it's a deadly combo. everything from 10yds thru 50yds. #6 in an improved cylinder would be the ideal duck load for decoying birds.
Hevi has a tendency to stay tighter leaving the barrel, thats why the articles i've read say go with improved. It works for me.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Id use no more than a modified. It will certainly KO any duck at 50 yards [further if your a good shot]. The pellets have plenty of energy out there to get the job done. Inside that distance you will ventilate the duck.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sprigdog said:
I've read quite a few articles and shot quite a few boxes of Hevi and the more open choke is recommended.... Hevi has a tendency to stay tighter leaving the barrel, thats why the articles i've read say go with improved. It works for me.
yeah, that was my train of thought. maybe i'll see if i can't swap the #2's for the #6's on my way back through on sunday, and stick with the mod that way. who knows...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i've been shooting hevi-steel through an IMP CYL with good results out to 35yds.

i have no reason to shoot at anything past that. i would go w/ IC or a light-modified (steel).

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The few times i used hevishot i used a Briley LM choke and had great success

·
Registered
883 Posts
I shoot #6 Hevi out of a Mod in my BGH for ducks out of the layout and it does its job nicely.

Hevi #2s are pretty big for ducks, I shoot #2 Hevi for geese in the late season. #4 Hevi in the early season all with a Mod choke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts