Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I built a UL rod this spring for 1# line, but the largest spool I can find is 150 yards. The reel I have will hold 120 yards of 2# mono, so I'm fairly sure it'll hold a couple hundred yards of 1#. I could always just add a 1# leader to 2# spool line, but that's kinda cheating to me. So' does anyone know of a source for larger spools?

Also, do any of you have any suggestions for line for my 2# rigs? Stren doesn't make 2# anymore, and the Trilene XL i tried sucks as bad as the last spool I bought 15 years ago...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I know a guy that works at mason line, if you want me to find out I can.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
464 Posts
I use reel magic when ultra lite fishing I have custom rods also for the lite line and it helps alot and I only use the XL,Stren is good to.
Rod guides have alot to do with it to, not saying your not building right I build also and that the size of the guide closest to your reel is a major factor on what your line is going to do.And the way you put your line on, I always tie the line on the reel then load the reel then lay the rod down and walk the line out all the way and try to get all the twist out that i can while reeling back in I know this sounds like to much but its worth the out come.When in the boat I will let the line out as Im motoring before tying anything to it and the pull will take all the twist out. Some one else might have another fix but so far this works for me.Good luck!

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
Why not just put enough 4lb backer on there so that you can fill the rest with the 1#?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
William H... I fish the Cass below the dam in Frankenmuth with the Ultralight (4#), Superultralight (2#) and the almost-ready Ultra-ultralight (1#), depending on the time of year and weed growth, and I can usually reach across the river with , for example, a 1/24oz Roostertail.

Jimw... I would be grateful...

Shady Oaks & Axiom... With such light line, I don't want any splices that might get pulled through the guides, as the knot striking the guides under strain might be enough shock to snap the 1#.

Twowack... I've been fishing UL for almost 40 years, and started fishing SU 30 years or so ago. I use an OLD Cabellas 'UniButt' rod for the 4#...I can land pretty much anything on 4# after all these years, but I make my SU rods from 5 foot 4-5wt flyrod tip blanks. This UU rod is from a 4 1/2 foot 2wt flyrod tip blank and (if it works) will be my braggin' fishin' rod, as in "I landed a X# bass on this rig!". I've always used Tennessee handles on my homebuilt UL rods...Shoot, I've been doing that for years before anybody started calling them that.

Biggest SU fish was a 23", 6# smallie from the cass on that 2# test (the initial run almost spooled me, that's why I want every foot of line I can pack on that reel). Took half an hour to land that fish, and after 20 years, I can remember it like it was yesterday. Imagine a 4-5# on 1# test!

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
It sounds like you got it figured out pretty well.

What model reel works best for you with these super light setups?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I usually use plumbers tape as a backing on my ultra lite rods and on all my ice fishing rods. I've never had a fish spool me, and have manage to pull a 32" pike through the ice on 2lb test. I did have a dogfish grab a gill I was bringing in a few weeks ago, he almost spooled me but the gill came unhooked...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds like you got it figured out pretty well.

What model reel works best for you with these super light setups?
I use a 20 year old Daiwa EL500 on the 4# rig, and newer composit Quantum Microspin UL00s on the 2#, and an old metal bodied Quantum MS00 will get the 1#. I really like the super-smooth drags on the Daiwa and the MS00. As you know, the drag is the most critical part of any UL rig, and these are the best I've ever used.

·
Registered
464 Posts
William H... I fish the Cass below the dam in Frankenmuth with the Ultralight (4#), Superultralight (2#) and the almost-ready Ultra-ultralight (1#), depending on the time of year and weed growth, and I can usually reach across the river with , for example, a 1/24oz Roostertail.

Jimw... I would be grateful...

Shady Oaks & Axiom... With such light line, I don't want any splices that might get pulled through the guides, as the knot striking the guides under strain might be enough shock to snap the 1#.

Twowack... I've been fishing UL for almost 40 years, and started fishing SU 30 years or so ago. I use an OLD Cabellas 'UniButt' rod for the 4#...I can land pretty much anything on 4# after all these years, but I make my SU rods from 5 foot 4-5wt flyrod tip blanks. This UU rod is from a 4 1/2 foot 2wt flyrod tip blank and (if it works) will be my braggin' fishin' rod, as in "I landed a X# bass on this rig!". I've always used Tennessee handles on my homebuilt UL rods...Shoot, I've been doing that for years before anybody started calling them that.

Biggest SU fish was a 23", 6# smallie from the cass on that 2# test (the initial run almost spooled me, that's why I want every foot of line I can pack on that reel). Took half an hour to land that fish, and after 20 years, I can remember it like it was yesterday. Imagine a 4-5# on 1# test!
I hear ya Ive been using a 6ft upper half of a 11,6 noodle steel head rod rated 1# to4# pound test and use 1# to 2# and have landed 22 inch rainbows with no problems, I love the slow noodle rods I also made a fly rod with same blank wooohooo,Ive been using this type of rod blank for over 15 years.Its the funnest way to fish for me.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
p-line makes a fluo-mono in 2# test that comes in 300 yard spool.it has a reel small diamiter and it's strong.i use it on my ice poles all winter for perch and gills.have caught walleye and bass while perch fishing with it too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts