Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Need a Gun Safe Mover

11K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  JBhunter45 
#1 ·
I'm striking out with Redford Safe and Nick of Time Movers to move my gun safe to the basement. The issue appears to be the landing on my stairs. The landing is 37.5" wide by 47.5" long and turns 90 to the left for the balance of the stairs. The safe is 42"x25" and 760#. I have the head room to clear the height of 60" on the safe. I don't want to have the safe in my garage. I could do it but it is not my ideal location. Any recommendations out there who to contact next or am I SOL and stuck putting it in my garage?

#2 ·
Here is the problem as I see it.
You are currently having a problem finding someone to move the safe to the basement. If you get the safe moved to the basement and some day need to move the safe out of the basement, like for selling the house, etc., you it may you may have a bigger problem finding someone to take it out of the basement. You may have to leave it there.
Find a nice place in the garage where you can hide it from view.

#3 ·
I'm ok with leaving it in the basement. I plan to be in this house a long time (I know we all probably think that but never really know.) Can't really hide this beast in the garage. I could put it so it's not visible from the garage window, but then again to see in the window from outside you'd have to be on a ladder.

#4 ·
I would keep trying movers. Also if you know any millrights that work moving equipment in and out. I have used a moving guy to bring in and take out large appliances that people wouldn't believe could be done.

#7 ·
I know the landing is tight. I took the outer box off the safe and took it down the stairs to see how tight. The safe has to start turning before it is fully on the landing or it won't make it for sure. I'm coming to terms with it possibly being in the garage. The plus side is it would save me some $$. All of the millwrights I know are out of state unfortunately. They would probably tell me I don't need equipment, just a couple of them and they'd muscle the darn thing down.

#8 ·
If it has to start turning before the landing... I'd build a box on the landing to match the height of the step above it. That should help you turning it. Then I'd go buy a case of beer. Find 3 strong friends. Strap the safe to a refrigerator cart and muscle it down there.

Or put it in the garage. lol

#21 ·
The people in the office at Nick of time moving are the worst. Seriously, after waiting a month before they could schedule me, having to make multiple phone calls because they never called back, numerous emails, and only on one certain day, they cancelled because they didn't have the right wheels on their dolly. Two weeks later they were supposed to be there after 3, I was told how booked up they were, and couldn't make it there any time before that, which was fine, because I couldn't get home before then anyway. They showed up at 2, said they couldn't wait there until 3 and left. I called every number I could find until I finally got someone who was actually helpful. Told her my situation, sent copies of my emails, and she made them turn around and come back. When I asked the guys about being booked up all day, they said they only had one other job. That front office had no clue what was going on.

The actual movers, however, they were great. My safe weighed 1,000 pounds, and I only had about 6 inches of clearance side to side and top to bottom. Those guys got it installed in under 30 minutes. I'd have those guys move it again in a heartbeat, but I would absolutely dread having to deal with the office again.

The point of my rambling is, if you can talk to someone competent in the office (ask to talk to someone else), they may be able to send the movers out to look/measure. If it can be done, then those guys can do it.

Sent from my Droid

#24 ·
If you leave it in the garage, which I would not do, make sure to check with your insurance company about coverage. Is this an attached garage? Why I ask is that some garages that are not attached have heat sources that insurance companies do not like (woodstoves). You bought the safe to protect your valuables, get it in the basement.

#25 ·
Build a Strong Safe size room with a steel door in the Garage and put the Safe in, And bingo it's out of View, Or have a Walk in safe built In the basement, You can buy Just a Door with frame, That can double as a Safe Room in case of a Tornado Or Nuclear fallout, That would increase the value of your home as well. Think concrete pumper truck with lots of welded steel rod. Jaa

#26 ·
It's an attached garage. I'm still waiting to hear from Nick of Time after she talked to the lead. I do want it in my basement. I already have the safe. Time to accept that. If they tell me i have to get build a platform I'm handy enough to do that. I hoped that Redford would come back to me on that one but it basically is now me begging them. I would assume they all use that nifty powered dolly. Too bad that rental place is way over on the other side of Detroit from me. Otherwise I'd burn up some favors from MDH and BucksRUs and my neighbor.

#27 ·
I had a buddy with 5.. (FIVE 1000+ lb) gun safes. He moved a lot.

After his 3rd move in five years, I moved 1000 miles away. That was almost 30 years ago and he's in the same house lol.

He had a set of piano dollies that made moving much easier. Come along and block&tackles help too, but they have to anchor somewhere.

#28 ·
750# safe on one or two stair treads makes me nervous. Split stringers, stringer coming disconnected from the landing header, busted treads,. take the door off just because it is usually half the weight of the safe.........

#30 ·
750# safe on one or two stair treads makes me nervous. Split stringers, stringer coming disconnected from the landing header, busted treads,. take the door off just because it is usually half the weight of the safe.........
My Thoughts Exactly!! That will indeed need extensive reinforcements with a dolly use as It does not distribute the weight evenly, Now with some reinforcement Blocks under the Stairs and landing header, You could probably get it down by sliding it lengthwise on it's side, as that would distribute the weight, And spread the weight out more evenly. I have used Golf balls before under them, And Rolled Them on their side, Just keep putting the balls in front and It's a piece of cake moving them that way, But it was not going down into a Basement! Good Luck and be SAFE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.