Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm striking out with Redford Safe and Nick of Time Movers to move my gun safe to the basement. The issue appears to be the landing on my stairs. The landing is 37.5" wide by 47.5" long and turns 90 to the left for the balance of the stairs. The safe is 42"x25" and 760#. I have the head room to clear the height of 60" on the safe. I don't want to have the safe in my garage. I could do it but it is not my ideal location. Any recommendations out there who to contact next or am I SOL and stuck putting it in my garage?

·
Premium Member
32,804 Posts
I'm striking out with Redford Safe and Nick of Time Movers to move my gun safe to the basement. The issue appears to be the landing on my stairs. The landing is 37.5" wide by 47.5" long and turns 90 to the left for the balance of the stairs. The safe is 42"x25" and 760#. I have the head room to clear the height of 60" on the safe. I don't want to have the safe in my garage. I could do it but it is not my ideal location. Any recommendations out there who to contact next or am I SOL and stuck putting it in my garage?
Here is the problem as I see it.
You are currently having a problem finding someone to move the safe to the basement. If you get the safe moved to the basement and some day need to move the safe out of the basement, like for selling the house, etc., you it may you may have a bigger problem finding someone to take it out of the basement. You may have to leave it there.
Find a nice place in the garage where you can hide it from view.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm ok with leaving it in the basement. I plan to be in this house a long time (I know we all probably think that but never really know.) Can't really hide this beast in the garage. I could put it so it's not visible from the garage window, but then again to see in the window from outside you'd have to be on a ladder.

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
I would keep trying movers. Also if you know any millrights that work moving equipment in and out. I have used a moving guy to bring in and take out large appliances that people wouldn't believe could be done.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
These guys don't move safes, just sell them. However, if you contact them, they may know of a moving service willing to travel to your area.

Bullock's Guns-N-More

5302 Richfield Rd, Flint, MI 48506
(810) 736-7680

https://g.co/kgs/i797Wb

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Are you sure there is even enough room to make the turn? I'm suspect with the 42" and 47" dimensions.

I put mine in the garage. Bolt it to the floor, it ain't going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the landing is tight. I took the outer box off the safe and took it down the stairs to see how tight. The safe has to start turning before it is fully on the landing or it won't make it for sure. I'm coming to terms with it possibly being in the garage. The plus side is it would save me some $$. All of the millwrights I know are out of state unfortunately. They would probably tell me I don't need equipment, just a couple of them and they'd muscle the darn thing down.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I know the landing is tight. I took the outer box off the safe and took it down the stairs to see how tight. The safe has to start turning before it is fully on the landing or it won't make it for sure. I'm coming to terms with it possibly being in the garage. The plus side is it would save me some $$. All of the millwrights I know are out of state unfortunately. They would probably tell me I don't need equipment, just a couple of them and they'd muscle the darn thing down.
If it has to start turning before the landing... I'd build a box on the landing to match the height of the step above it. That should help you turning it. Then I'd go buy a case of beer. Find 3 strong friends. Strap the safe to a refrigerator cart and muscle it down there.

Or put it in the garage. lol

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it has to start turning before the landing... I'd build a box on the landing to match the height of the step above it. That should help you turning it. Then I'd go buy a case of beer. Find 3 strong friends. Strap the safe to a refrigerator cart and muscle it down there.

Or put it in the garage. lol
The platform is a good idea. That extra tread width would probably do it. First step off would be a doozy (about 16")

·
Premium Member
12,754 Posts
With the door open, if you lift the door straight up will it come off?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked and I'm not sure. It has internal hinges. I'll snap a pic. I'm not small but I didn't make the door budge

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Search here. Youtube Millwrights don't move stuff. Ironheads do! ;)

This is the bottom hinge. Top is identical. Welded to door and pivots inside frame. Without removing drywall, etc it only has about 1/4 to 3/8" to come up. I'd hope that door has more holding it in it's place than 1/4".

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cabela's/Liberty. I do have a power outlet kit already installed and the rod dehumidifier ready to go regardless of where it goes. Just see it being more easily seen in the garage with doors open etc.

·
Registered
38,061 Posts
http://lewistool.com/product/5525.html

Reactions: hawgeye
1 - 20 of 59 Posts