Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Need a few suggestions for line

I like to throw Senko’s wacky style and I use a spinning combo with 8 lb mono (Berkley XL)
This week I’ve had a break off every day that I’ve fished (3)
It’s with the larger fish that bury them self in the weeds or have a hard run
(I have the drag very light)
I’ve stopped using slit shots on the line and I’ve been stripping 10’ of line every day and watching it for burrs

So now I’m thinking about going to a bait caster with 20 lb power pro with a 2’ flo carbon leader (14 lb test) or

I do have spools for the spinning reels with 10/4 fire line that I use to jig for walleye
Maybe I’ll try that with the flo carbon leader as well

I’m open to suggestions on how to end the break offs
The 8lb mono is just getting to be to light nowadays

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,449 Posts
30# Power Pro on my Bait Casters.
20# Power Pro on my spinning rod I toss senk0s with.

20# F/C Leaader on ALL of them.

Pretty good land ratio......

:lol: :evil:

Need a few suggestions for line

I like to throw Senko’s wacky style and I use a spinning combo with 8 lb mono (Berkley XL)
This week I’ve had a break off every day that I’ve fished (3)
It’s with the larger fish that bury them self in the weeds or have a hard run
(I have the drag very light)
I’ve stopped using slit shots on the line and I’ve been stripping 10’ of line every day and watching it for burrs

So now I’m thinking about going to a bait caster with 20 lb power pro with a 2’ flo carbon leader (14 lb test) or

I do have spools for the spinning reels with 10/4 fire line that I use to jig for walleye
Maybe I’ll try that with the flo carbon leader as well

I’m open to suggestions on how to end the break offs
The 8lb mono is just getting to be to light nowadays

·
Registered
125 Posts
Manx,

I used to fish Senkos a ton but haven't lately. I'll give you my two cents in hopes it helps you.

You definitely need heavier line than 8 lb., especially if you're using the 5"er and Texas riggin 'em. I have tried just about every line (non-braid) out there for plastics and I would recommend either McCoy's Mean Green (hard to find) or Yo-Zuri Hybrid which is my new favorite. It's a copolymer available at Cabela's and BPS.

As far as strength, I would go no lighter than 10 lb. especially in cover, which means weeds here in MI. Personally I would stick with "mono" (not FL or PP) and tie direct to the hook. I used to use a Palomar knot for everything but have switched this year to a Trilene knot and almost never break off unless I get lazy and don't retie, which is usually the case. It only takes about two minutes to cut and retie and I suggest doing so often.

The only time I use Senkos on spinning gear is dock skipping. Go with the baitcaster and 12 lb. line and you shouldn't lose any more bass. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I skip wacky senkos under docks all the time. I used to use 8lb mono on a spinning rod too and had the same problem. I put stren 30 lb superbraid on. I catch just as many and never have to worrry about breaks. You can pull them out of just about anything. I love this line and right now they have a mail in rebate.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Been fishing 15# Power Pro with an arms length (4' perhaps?) of 10 lb P-line floro leader for 3 seasons now. I can only think of ONE break off in all that time and it was a fish that was in the 6 lb range that I hauled out from under a pontoon boat only to have it make a U-turn and head under the ski boat lift on the other side of the dock and break me off using whatever she could find!!!! Uni-Uni knot to connect the lines. I change the leader before every tourney but not if I'm just fun fishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts