Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started neck sizing my brass Ive gotten my grouping alot tighter.I use to full length size but now I neck size.Wish I would of reloaded like this a long time ago.I bought new bass and loaded it and shot it then neck sized it and the neck sized brass shots better can't beleave it.WOW!

·
Registered
744 Posts
You will also increase you case capacity.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Remember a few rules to this.

#1 Aneck sizing die is a better choice than turning out a FL die, especially on rounds that don't have much body taper.

#2 Best if limited to bolt actions rifles. Pumps, semi's and levers generally need a FL or Small Base Circle die for reliable feeding.

I've neck sized all of my bolt gun brass for quite a long time. Wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
In general, how many times can you neck size a case for a bolt action before you need to FL resize? I'm guessing you can neck-size at least 3-4 times... or even more than that before problems chambering the round?

I have some 223 and 30-06 cases that have been neck-sized and fired again... the 223 absolutely must have neck-sized brass to print well - if I FL size the brass, I will have to expand it again before I can load for accuracy.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
For my 35 Whelen AI and 280 Remington bolt guns I have brass that has been through the guns 20+ times... After fireforming I will check OAL and deburr / chamfer and chamfer and size primer pockets and flash holes. Same goes for the 280 after initial firing. I generally check OAL prior to any loading in the 280. After that I just keep an eye on overall length but with neck sizing I find my brass doesn't grow that much. With a neck sized round the main portion of the case doesn't see much wear and tear due to lack of resizing. On neck sized brass pay attention to the neck for splits. After a few runs through the sizer you may want to anneal the brass to keep it from work hardening and thus splitting when resized and fired.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
As a rule, I neck size (Lee Collet Set) until you find yourself bumping the shoulder back with an extra push with the bolt. Then it's time for a FL size....and back to neck sizing again. How many times before it's needed? Ask Mr Owl, he knows.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts