Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis may have been passed on before. Can anyone tell me the Natural dye recipie for making trap dye. I've lost my books and info. I do remember using Poplar, and tagalder, from there i can't remember the ratio or if theres a added ingrediant? Once i'm retire from the Coast Guard, i plan on getting back into what i really enjoy. All my books and such was removed from my possession by a thief that took my truck and trailer on our move here to San Diego.
Zephyr :help:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
In San Diego yopu will probably have plenty of ashes for oil/scent removal. Im not sure about the indeginous plants there. Here Id use walnuts and/or shumac berries-lots of em. Hickory bark and hulls are good also.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes lots of ash, but this isn't for here. Just trying to get lost info back. The guy i got the recipie from died, but he used to harvest the barks and grind them, dry them and sell the powder that was added to boiling water. Man wish i could remember!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
I have the best results using bark from a soft maple. I cut a green maple that is about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and about 6 feet long. I strip the bark from this maple log and it give me enough bark to use in a 20 gallon metal contain.

It will produce a nice black dye.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i've used tagalder in the past, i just cut a bunch of green tagalder and then chopped them down to small sticks then put them in a tub with water and boil for most of a day. makes a good black dye that will last on my traps all season.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
cgc Zephyr,

Just put the shaved off bark from the maple pole in your metal container. Place your traps on top of the bark and add enough water to cover the traps.

Boil for about 1/2 hour and if your traps had a slight rust coating on them when you put them in, they will come out nice and black.

You need to clean new traps first by boiling them in a baking soda solution to get rid of the oil from manufacturing. Then I like to put them in a bucket and pour some vinegar over them. Once they have been wash in vinegar, I just place them out in the yard in the grass over night and by morning they should have a light coating of rust and be ready for the dying process.

Here is what the traps should look like after being treated as described above and just prior to going into the maple bark dying process.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. The Coast Guard is keeping me busy here. But i have Started a Mouse trap line in the back yard. Seems the fire burned up there habitat and everyone is getting flooded as they moved into the areas with cover and feed. I'm up to 23 Mice and 12 or so rats. Any one looking to buy raw mouse hides:lol::lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts