Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Great lakes Sport Dog Assn is holding a Hunt Test in September.

Sept 27, 2008 at Countryside Kennel in Bad Axe, Mi

Attendance to these Tests are really growing, and everyone seems to be having a great time. Our Tests are set up to simulate actual hunting scenarios, and can be used as a training exercise without being judged. In a relaxed friendly atmoshere we all get together, work our Canines, and are Judged using the standards set by the North American Dog Sport and Registry. With Testing in Upland as well as Retrievers, in 3 different classes, Great Lakes Sport Dog strives to keep our events fun while promoting and enhancing this great sport.
We have been asked to keep these Tests/training days going through the winter months (after the hunting seasons), and are trying to put a winter schedual together.
For more information or to register please contact GSP GAL or myself, or visit our site @ www.greatlakessportdog.com

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
good deal, sounds like a go for me. BA is my old hometown........good reason to visit family and work the pooches. So what do i all need to do to get involved?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Go to our website to sign up, bring $55.00 per dog. $10.00 is a permanent registration fee, and if you have a nice picture of your dog, forward it to Steve Lewis. You will get a registration certificate with the picture, and if you scan your registration papers, the pedigree will be on the certificate. The picture will go on also. They are nicer looking than AKC.

No pedigree? No problem. Fill out the registration paperwork with your best guess, and you still register.

The $45.00 will cover your birds for the hunt test/ training session.

Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Congratulations to those who ran their dogs. We had a great turnout, lots of fun, got to see some new dogs work, and we are growing.
[/COLOR]
Results are as follows: 30 points is a perfect score, 25 or better will land you a ribbon, and 100 points will earn a title.

Upland

Handler Canine Points

Bob Kelley Shilo 27
Jim Miller Doc 22
Jim Miler Abby 30
Jim Miller Cole 27
Jim Miller Rocky 28 - Novice Upland Title
Bernie Bauman Romeo 26
Bernie Bauman Molly 26
Mike Clark Bear 25
Mike Clark Buck 29
Dean Botek Highball 26
Steve Hearing Casey 29
Brian Peters Penny 29 - Novice Upland Title
Max Faber Hank 29
Steve Lewis Jazz 23
Steve Lewis Bo 27 - Novice Upland Title
Denise Bauer Captiva 30
Nathan Stevens Chester 30 - Novice upland Title
Bill Ruell Zoey 28
Bo Vechazone Timber 17
Bob Miller Ruger 22
Mike Anderson River 23
Jerry Raus Gus 20
Ann Billings Annie 24

Retriever
Handler Canine Points

Jim Miller Rocky 28
Jim Miller Abby 26
Jim Miller Duke 26
Mike Anderson River 22
Mike Clark Bear 27
Mike Clark Buck 27
Jeff tyler Sam 27
Denise Bauer Captiva 30
John Riggs Brutus 25
Steve hearing Casey 24
Bill Ruell Maya 14
Eric Geotz Max 26

If you want to get in on the fun, contact Steve Lewis or myself, and we will help get you started. These are very relaxed hunt tests, but a place where you can get your feet wet, swap stories, and meet fellow dog lovers.

Have a great bird season.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really enjoyed my first time at a GLSDA hunt test.
Our dog Hank did great.
Attended with my Dad, Mom, and their Brittany "Shilo" ,

my wife and daughters as well.

Real cool seeing all the different hunting dog breeds.

I'd like to attend more of these.

AND if I could get this account released, I'D POST SOME PICTURES FOR YOU TO ENJOY!?

I don't know what's wrong with it.

:confused:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
The GLSDA is an excellent organization! Glad everyone had a good time, and sorry I couldn't make it.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
if you would like to post up some pictures i suggest hosting on something like photobucket.com. Keeps server space on this board free and also allows you to post larger pictures and in volume without taking up space.

so when is the next event? spring?

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I almost made a last minute decision to run up to Bad Axe...as my Saturday plans had been canceled, and I was feeling the blues after having to return home from 2 weeks of hunting:(;)

It turned out that I couldn't make it, but I wasn't able to find any rules or judging criteria when I visited the website???? For future reference I would be interested to see that the actual tests consist of.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
We were kind of hoping to do some things this winter to chase away the winter blues, but we would probably have to buy Phez. Or- maybe just training days with pigeons. Not real sure - when Steve gets back in the US, maybe we can plan something. I was thinking FLorida in Feb. :lol:

The rules are here:-

http://nadsr.com/rules/Retriever_Rules.pdf

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I would LOVE a winter test.........would be way fun. How about using pigeons?

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had a great time at the Bad Axe outing. We made a lot of new dogs and trainer's. This was the first time my wife and family have been to one of these functions. I would be very interested in a winter test and would not mind paying extra for the Pheasant. There's nothing like watching a Pheasant rise off the snow covered ground. Again great job by all the people that put the effort into putting on this event.
Bob Kelley and Shiloh

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK everyone -
There is a tentative date of Nov 8th set for a Winter Test in Bad Axe at Countryside Kennels. All the details haven't been worked out yet, but I'm sure we can get enough people interested to make this happen. I do know that Pheasants will be used, I do know that this will be by pre-registration, and an upland hunt only. And I know for a fact that there will be fantastic dogs in the fields and a great group of people. We just need to work out all the details.
If there is enough interest in this event, I have the 'go-ahead' to put together others throughout the winter months. And am activly seeking other area's in the State.
I will post here, and our website (www.greatlakessportdog.com), as the details are worked out. So please check back often.
A great bid THANK YOU to everyone that has helped Great Lakes Sport Dog through this past Testing Season. Everyone pitched in to pull these events off, had a great time doing it, and witnessed some beautiful work in the fields and waters with our Dogs.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Steve
You can count me in for one, maybe two dogs.

Also if there is any help you need with set-up or schedule or whatever i would be happy to offer my time.

-Bob

On a side note maybe we could set up a test in a woodland type setting for upland, sort of a grouse simulated hunt. Might be fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We had a great time at the Bad Axe outing. We made a lot of new dogs and trainer's. This was the first time my wife and family have been to one of these functions. I would be very interested in a winter test and would not mind paying extra for the Pheasant. There's nothing like watching a Pheasant rise off the snow covered ground. Again great job by all the people that put the effort into putting on this event.
Bob Kelley and Shiloh

Welcome Shilokel!

Glad you made it over.
Hope you're rested up and ready for tomorrow.

Tab

1 - 19 of 19 Posts