Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plane leaves in a few hours and I just heard the conditions are right for an overnight trip 80+ miles out of Naples. I'm so pumped! I have a day and a half of client meetings planned, then head out into the gulf for 24 hours. We usually run 35-65 miles out and fish off wrecks or reefs for grouper and snapper, but this time we'll be heading a little further and staying much longer! One of my "checked bags" is a cooler of venison I'm going to exchange for a cooler of gulf shrimp, grouper and snapper for my return. There's nothing like fishing the saltwater and it's very addicting.

I will post pics of our catch when we return Saturday afternoon.

· Registered
4,787 Posts
Is this a charter or do you rent a boat or have friends in the area?

I'm leaving Sun for the Tampa area and then a Keys trip in mid-Feb - hoping to restock the freezer myself.

· Registered
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this a charter or do you rent a boat or have friends in the area?

I'm leaving Sun for the Tampa area and then a Keys trip in mid-Feb - hoping to restock the freezer myself.
I have friends in the area, both have boats and one is actually a commercial fisherman. He sells most his fish to local restaurants. Good friend to have!

Good luck on your trip! We hit the keys in June and have a blast!

· Premium Member
16,909 Posts
I have friends in the area, both have boats and one is actually a commercial fisherman. He sells most his fish to local restaurants. Good friend to have!

Good luck on your trip! We hit the keys in June and have a blast!
Any word on now bad the recent cold snap was on the snook?

· Premium Member
16,909 Posts
From what I've been reading, anything South of Tampa should be OK.

North not so much.
Thanks - Tampa has been the northern end of the snook range for years as I understand it.

When we were in Tarpon Springs (North of the bay) we would get a night or two a year below freezing. Just south of the bay it was almost unheard of.

Glad it hear it is not like a few years ago down south.

· Registered
335 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time on the Florida Sportsmen fishing forums yesterday, on this very subject. Bayport is the very northern limit of a snooks range. Everywhere south of that the snook are doing just fine. Very isolated areas of snook kill.
There were actually quite a few snook caught from Tampa Bay, south, even during the cold spell.

· Premium Member
16,909 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time on the Florida Sportsmen fishing forums yesterday, on this very subject. Bayport is the very northern limit of a snooks range. Everywhere south of that the snook are doing just fine. Very isolated areas of snook kill.
There were actually quite a few snook caught from Tampa Bay, south, even during the cold spell.
Glad to hear it.

I used to have a spot as far north as New Port Richey but, that was as far north as I remember catching them and it was a spring.

· Registered
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was not the most comfortable trip but it was fun! We came home with a nice mix of red grouper, yellowtail, mangro, vermilion and red snapper and a few porgys. It was a constant grind until 4:30 am when we finally tried to sleep. Up fishing again at 8:30 am -1 pm then headed back in against sharp 4 footers. I still feel like I'm on a boat. We're estimating close to 300 lbs in fish in the box. Love that fishery!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.