Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
17,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son wanted to try some expandables, so I purchased some Spitfires over the weekend. They come with a screwdriver and instructions on how to set them up. Even the sales person said "they are a little more difficult to set up than fixed-blad broad heads". However, they seem to be good to go right out of the package. Am I missing something here? Do most of you just screw them in and shoot them as they are, right out of the display box?
<----<<<

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
yes sir!!!!

i use the little screw driver and screw the screw in as tight as you can. it makes the blades open easier... you should just barley push the blade and the blade should fall down...

then you will be eating venison in no time:)

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I will usually tight'n the retaining screw up...they always seem to have about a 1/4- 1/2 turn left...It seems to make em open little easier too...

They are an awesome head...and easy to change blades..IMO

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
They are a devastating head.

However, I had one that didnt open up last year. Manage to kill the deer, but never deployed.

Make sure you check them as stated above, if the blades seen too hard to open, they need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
163 Posts
From I understand, those heads have a propensity (Big word ha ha) to deflect, or "pole vault" upon striking a deer. Thats because the blades open forward and sort of catapaults the point off the deer.
Blades like the Rage and Tekan open rearward so that type deflection isnt possible with them.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I weigh them out of the box and they are all within a grain of each other, I spin test and they are good to go. I have yet to be disappointed, I switched to the 85 grain version this year after over 10 years of shooting the 100's. If you have the kinetic energy , you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
From I understand, those heads have a propensity (Big word ha ha) to deflect, or "pole vault" upon striking a deer. Thats because the blades open forward and sort of catapaults the point off the deer.
Blades like the Rage and Tekan open rearward so that type deflection isnt possible with them.
That would be a possablity on few steep angles.. Which some might even call questionable...
I tried the tekan last year for this reason :rant::rant:.....Lets just say I quickly went back to Spits..

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
i have shot deer quartering away and at all different angles... never had the blades deploy weird or pull away from the deer... all drive home perfectly

and if you noticed those above that stated that the blades didnt open, one already admitted it was because they didnt tighten down the screw so the blades wouldnt open easier and i bet the other one didnt either

not saying it is their fault im just saying Spitfire needs to make this clear on their package and i try to do my best here to make sure everyone knows to TIGHTEN THE SCREWS!!!!

·
Administrator
17,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.....and if you noticed those above that stated that the blades didnt open, one already admitted it was because they didnt tighten down the screw so the blades wouldnt open easier and i bet the other one didnt either

not saying it is their fault im just saying Spitfire needs to make this clear on their package and i try to do my best here to make sure everyone knows to TIGHTEN THE SCREWS!!!!
You have me convinced! I am going to tighten down them screws tonight!
I am glad i posted this today.
<----<<<

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
What problem did u have with the Tekans? I see they came out with new ones this year. Not enough blood trail?
Small hole, bad trail...yeah they redesigned em, but I don't think they changed much..
Wish they would come out with a 3 blade designed around the tekan..the 2 blades left more of a slice from a knife, rather than a hole

·
Registered
740 Posts
My son wanted to try some expandables, so I purchased some Spitfires over the weekend. They come with a screwdriver and instructions on how to set them up. Even the sales person said "they are a little more difficult to set up than fixed-blad broad heads". However, they seem to be good to go right out of the package. Am I missing something here? Do most of you just screw them in and shoot them as they are, right out of the display box?
<----<<<
Just make sure they open and close good, screw them on and shoot. ;);)

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
i have shot deer quartering away and at all different angles... never had the blades deploy weird or pull away from the deer... all drive home perfectly

and if you noticed those above that stated that the blades didnt open, one already admitted it was because they didnt tighten down the screw so the blades wouldnt open easier and i bet the other one didnt either

Thats right, the box it comes in doesnt say SQUAT!

Trial and error, unfortunatly its at the expense of the animal.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
well i think it says use the screwdrivers to tighten the screws to make the blades open easier but its just in real small print.... it needs to be in bold or they need to just do it themselves...that is their ONLY fault in them though....

I wouldnt keep telling everyone they are awesome if they werent... best head i have ever used... and i have used muzzys zwickies and rockets... zwickies are the next best but thats only for my recurve :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts