Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do seem to enjoy the threads of mysterious animals count on camera. I forgot that I have one of my own. The only pic I got of it. Seems cat to me but bigger than a house cat. Any thoughts?
Plant Black Natural landscape Branch Twig

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s possible but I’ve only got 2 coyotes on camera in the past year. The coat seems solid color to me. That camera hasn’t left that tree and it’s yet to come back through.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Definitely looks like a cat. Big for sure but hard to say exactly what species. I know you'll get the "It's a Cougar" responders and it sure looks long enough to be so but can't say positively. To be honest if you get your mind out of it being a cat, it also could be a decent size bodied Doe with it's head turned away making the head look small. The thin rear right leg makes me think Deer. Optically it's a tough call.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Would the coat be more solid with young bobcats? I’ve gotten pics of adults before (not on this property) but haven’t seen a young one in person or picture.
The one I've seen, (on 2 occasions) once sneaking right underneath me and putting a stalk on a squirrel out in front of me, had very few black patches on its lower legs. Its coat was a solid brown gray color.³4 Beautiful animals.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'll say bobcat based on coloration/marks on lower back end.

Reactions: Plumman

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Not a coyote or a deer. The tail seems a bit long for a bobcat so I'm going with a big cat. I've treed bobcat with hounds and ran coyote with hounds and on Drummond Island I saw a cougar first hand. When I reported it, I was told I was full of $h*t but low and behold just 4 miles away the DNR confirmed that the cat caught on a trail camera was indeed a cougar.
I don't claim to be an expert but I've seen all 4 animals mentioned first hand and to me it looks like a juvenile cougar.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Looks like a big cat. Ears look to rounded to be a bobcat though.

Reactions: vsmorgantown

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mountian Lion, I have seen a couple around Millersburg, and I sometimes hunt the Fredricks orv tailhead and have seen foot prints in the sand around the trail head and along the orv trail heading back towards m72

1 - 20 of 52 Posts