Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here it is my 07 season in pics. I would have to say that this was my best and worst season yet! But it for sure got me into turkey hinting big time and I already cant wait for next spring!

Day 1, Thursday May 3

AM

Hit the woods at 6am not knowing where any birds were at all but as soon as I hit the back fields sure enough there was one good ol thunderhead going at it! Set up for him but he flew down away from me and I never did see him so I moved and set up on him again. This time I got to within 50 or so yards but still never saw him. He finally went silent on me so I went to move on and immediately I was into another bird. I spent the next 2 hours on this bird and set up on him 5+ times but he always got the best of me. Saw him twice, once when I was going to set up on him (we saw each other) and once on a set up he caught me off guard and ran through an opening at about 20-25 yards.

PM

Hit the back field to see if I could roost any birds. Passed on a Jake and heard a tom and hen roosted up by the river.

Day 2 Friday May 4

AM

Hit the woods at 6am again and waited for the tom to fly down. Just like the morning before he was fired up but he flew down on the other side of the river and I spent the 2 hours after that chasing him up and down the river calling. Finally I had enough and crossed on a tree. I got on the edge of an open valley and set up he was going nuts on the ridge but I couldn’t see him because of some trees. He came close but I never saw him. On the way back to the cabin I heard another one but he was not very vocal and I never even got set up on him.

PM

Went out at dark to see if I could find where my buddy was and sure enough he was just off our back field going nuts up in a tree. I could also hear another one way off to the north. Went back to the cabin and told the guy’s tomorrow was going to be the day. I had a tent blind on the field and I was going to get out there early, set the decoy out and get to calling in hopes that he would fly down to me.

Day 3 Saturday May 5

AM

Hit the woods at 5:30am and he was already going at it in the tree. I could also hear the one to the north but he was not talking as much. At about 6:15 a hen that I didn’t know was there flew down to the river but the tom stayed in his tree just out of sight and kept running his mouth. At 6:30 he flew down to the river too. So once again I was on to move. I heard him heading for another field so I got up and started over there. I snuck up on the edge and could see him strutting over to the other side. When he got up into the woods I crossed the field on the far side and set up where I had on him the first morning thinking he was headed that way. But it didn’t talk me long to realize he wasn’t so I snuck to the edge of the field and set up he was still gobbling like crazy so I just set the call down and picked up the gun. For 15 mins I waited for him to step out. Finally he did. 35 yards and I’m sitting there with my 20g. Now that is my 100% max shot with that gun but I it can get the job done with one well placed shot. Well I watched as he gave one last gobble and BOOM he went down and was flopping all over the place. I racked in another one and shot at him. MISS! So I rack in the last one and wanted a good shot. I wont put on here all I went through but bottom line is he finally got his feet and all I was left with was 100 pin feathers. I have never felt so bad. That is the first thing I have ever shot and not found and it made me feel sick. Based on what I found I think the shot was in the chest above the beard but below then neck right across the chest. I hope he lives but I don’t know. With all the coyotes and bobcats we have around if he is injured I don’t think he will be around long. We looked for him hard to there were 3 of use and my dog. But nothing.

Here is the scene of the crime. He was just on the other side of the downed tree.

PM

Well I hit my pop up blind at about 7:30 hoping to see any turkeys at all. Had some deer come in and a crane but no turkeys seen or heard.

Day 4 Sunday May 6

AM

Went out all over the place and couldn’t get any to answer. Not on the property not on the state land. So I got in the car and started driving and right down the road I drive up on a house that has 3 hens a Jake and a BEAUTIFUL Tom. I pulled off the road and watched as they fed under the bird feeder. All I could do is watch him Strut and gobble in the yard.

So that was my season. And here is my filled tag a bunch of pin feathers!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
At least you got some sweet photos. You can buy a turkey for $20, but being out there immersed in nature is priceless.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Nice pictorial.

I am glad you enjoyed your season.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Very Nice!

And NEMichigan sporstman.....you're not "stuck"! Think about that for a few days!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts