Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
35,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my pride and joy 1968 Massey Ferguson with a 38" wide shaft drive rear tiller. Being about the same age we get along quite well. I really worked hard this winter on this old gal.

Now as for my food plot. I planted rye and buckwheat (or at least what I thought was buck wheat) in early May. Since then there have been a couple of hard frosts so I didn't expect the buckwheat to have sprouted. Instead I have another plant which I have no idea what it is on some of the spots where I planted buckwheat. Is this a weed that came with the buckwheat seed?

I've already had my deer cam out for on this food plot and I haven't seen any fawns yet and the bucks are just sprouting their antlers in velvet. What always amazes me is how much they love the fresh tilled dirt. It never fails that I get pictures EVERY evening after I plow. Makes me think I should just till up some dirt and hunt over it if I get in a slump this fall.

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
Steve
That is funny that you say that about the fresh dirt. It must be because of all the minerals in the soil. In late season after they take the corn,beets or beans and they start tilling the fields i see alot of deer trying to tear up the ground.???? Anyways Nice looking tractor and it sounds like you are going to have some luck this year

·
Registered
19,086 Posts
....... I planted rye and buckwheat (or at least what I thought was buck wheat) in early May. Since then there have been a couple of hard frost...l.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, why did you plant the rye now ? Green manure & weed control ? Would expect that you will need to replant the buckwheat after frost.
L & O

·
Administrator
35,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know... is it wrong to plant rye in the spring? It always grows and the deer eat it. I expected to have to replant the buckwheat as well but I'd like to know what I do have growing there first. It almost looks like too nice of a plant to be a weed.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Steve,
I planted about the same time as you and even though we had some frost, my BW survived. I did have some early germintaion that got a little frost burn but most of it survived. That looks like a clump of BW to me, not a weed (did you hand broadcast). For some reason your bottom picture isnt fully showing up for me, even if I refresh.

BTW, nice Tractor! My father-in-law has the same one and loves it!

CB

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Steve said:
I don't know... is it wrong to plant rye in the spring? It always grows and the deer eat it. I expected to have to replant the buckwheat as well but I'd like to know what I do have growing there first. It almost looks like too nice of a plant to be a weed.
Definitely not wrong to plant rye in the spring. It makes a good green manure crop just like the buckwheat. Also, just looking at the pictures, it does look like buckwheat. If so, the deer will find it real soon.

And yes, deer always seem drawn to freshly worked ground. Many times they will just go running and jumping in it. Not really sure why but have watched them do it since I was a child. (No, I did not have a dinosaur, I had a dog when I was a kid.)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would have to plant plenty of rye and buckwheat to turn my sand around. The last time I passed through my plot with my tractor I flushed David Hasselhoff out of the bushes.

·
Administrator
35,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, it did survive and did quite nicely in places. Hope the deer like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts