Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 year old son Drew has spend most of the summer flinging arrows and has become proficient out to 25 yards. He has been itching for deer season to start since early August. We had a couple of opportunities to hunt during the youth season without any sightings. Because of his brothers hockey and football practices and games, we have had limited opportunities during the early season. He came very close to having his first shot with his bow on Sunday October 11th only to have a buck just outside his 25 yard limit. Last night and 6:15pm his luck would change. This buck took the runway that would lead him 20 yards in front of his stand. Drew waited for the buck to pass behind a tree and he came to full draw (just like I taught him). As the buck emerged from behind the tree, Drew settled his 20 yard pin and squeezed the trigger. The arrow passed thru the liver and exited the other side. I was sitting about 100 yards away and heard everything. I bet my smile was as big as his if not bigger. I couldn't help but to think back 25+ years to my 1st bowkill. The technology has changed, but the feelings haven't. After a quick trip to the truck to drop off some gear and get our game cart, we were headed out to recover the deer. I knew exactly where it laid, but choose slowly follow the bloodtrail with Drew. No need to rush as this will be his last 1st bowkill. 100 yards in and the buck is his. I couldn't be prouder of his patience and dedication, hopefully its the first of many that I get to help him recover. I hope that each make as great of a memory this season.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Awesome job Drew. Congrats young man. Since your dad is getting old make sure to help him out when he shoots one. . Great job dad getting him hooked.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Outstanding job by both of you! I remember my daughter shooting her first bow buck and how great a joy I felt for her!! Its an incredible feeling for sure...enjoy the memories!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
That smile is priceless!!! My new favorite saying.....making memories......takes me back to my sons 1st bow kill.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts