Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at the forecast for tonight and based stand location based on wind direction. Hour into the hunt and wind switches blowing my scent somewhat towards where the deer are coming from. Persistence and being almost anal worked tonight.

1. Shower with Scent free soap/shampoo.
2. Inner layers sprayed down "Dead down wind" when put on
a. UnderArmour Heat Gear
b. XScent "silver thread" long johns
3. Put on scent lok liner (removing it from Jumbo sized Sealed ZIPLOK.
4. Get to stand sweat free.
5. Put on ScentBlocker Plus Leafy Suit and Facemask.
6. Spray down pack, hat, gloves and bow with Scentkiller.

I know that it's probably overkill, but tonight I had deer straight down wind at ranges of 5-150 yards and not even a sniff. Neighbors on adjoining property 300 yards away in a popup blind....not so much deer looking that direction, stomping, etc.

I know there is a on going debate on here regularly about the effectiveness of carbon lined suits, etc. I believe that they are an important part of a system. Take any one part of my above steps out of the equation tonight and I could have had an awful hunt.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try using a .99 cent box of baking soda and some water. mix it up and spray down with it, just like any other spray, take a shower and use as soap, put some with out water in your boots, it works as well or i think even better than the store bought items. and you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If you didn't spray down your leafy and other camo stuff before you got to your stand you could have left behind scent through that. As well as boots? Just saying;)

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Looked at the forecast for tonight and based stand location based on wind direction. Hour into the hunt and wind switches blowing my scent somewhat towards where the deer are coming from. Persistence and being almost anal worked tonight.

1. Shower with Scent free soap/shampoo.
2. Inner layers sprayed down "Dead down wind" when put on
a. UnderArmour Heat Gear
b. XScent "silver thread" long johns
3. Put on scent lok liner (removing it from Jumbo sized Sealed ZIPLOK.
4. Get to stand sweat free.
5. Put on ScentBlocker Plus Leafy Suit and Facemask.
6. Spray down pack, hat, gloves and bow with Scentkiller.

I know that it's probably overkill, but tonight I had deer straight down wind at ranges of 5-150 yards and not even a sniff. Neighbors on adjoining property 300 yards away in a popup blind....not so much deer looking that direction, stomping, etc.

I know there is a on going debate on here regularly about the effectiveness of carbon lined suits, etc. I believe that they are an important part of a system. Take any one part of my above steps out of the equation tonight and I could have had an awful hunt.
Not too crazy of a system. Simular to mine. Every little bit counts.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
lol rising currents is all i have to say man...

This is true too. I believe no matter what you do they can still smell you. IMO you can lower the alarm level with the OP system. So he may have lowered his "halo" of scent to a point of no concern to the deer, or rising thermals may of played a part. But to just walk into the woods with out some thoughts of controling your scent is more than likely to do more harm than good. I would always try to put the odds in my favor and not just hope I get lucky.
Also using a scent control system will help with keeping that location from getting patterned by the deer as easily. The scent you leave behind is just as damaging.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
that is what I do every time before I hit the woods. Dosnt everybody?? I do two other things, brush my teeth with baking soda and use scent free deoderant.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you didn't spray down your leafy and other camo stuff before you got to your stand you could have left behind scent through that. As well as boots? Just saying;)
Those articles of clothing are stored in air tight container. No scent there. Rubber Boots. Jusy saying:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts