Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...I hope you all can take my last jab at you about managing a hunt in the way it was intended,lightheartedly.I know many camps in my area that have self imposed restrictions and they have stuck to them through many deerless years.Their idea of QDM is bigger bucks and that is what they hold out for.Some ideas are for a more balanced deer population as far as buck to doe numbers.I have to say in all honesty your thread site is probably the most energetic and ambitious of all the sites I have for hunting or trapping,and its good to see people so enthused about anything anymore.My own idea of a quality hunt is one I can hunt with friends and family or alone and see deer and get a legal buck or doe.All of these things are easily managed in my area.If I dont get a buck its usually due to my not being in the woods enough or some other small detail.The only time I slam heads with QDM is when I hear wher the entire U.P. is going to be used as a test area,and when I get something shoved down my throat just to satisfy a special interest group(QDM) it gets me very irritated!Just had to vent a little,Ill continue to follow your site and agree or disagree to myself,good hunting always!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
i think everyone knows that you were just kidding around - don't worry about it.. ;-)

i agree with you as well - all i'm after is the ability to spend some time with the family, and maybe get a deer. my personal reasons for following QDM principles is not to get a trophy, but to see more bucks, ANY bucks. we have such an imbalance in our area.

·
Registered
36,004 Posts
It sound to me the you prefer to practice QDH, Quality Deer Hunting.

I also strive for the quality hunting experience. By vountarily following the principals of QDM my dream of QDH has been obtained.

I've had my buckless years and only one deerless year (no doe tags were available for my DMU) since I started down the road to QDH in '93. MY quality hunting experiences have greatly exceeded my initial expectations and know that they will be there as along as I choose to be a steward of the land.

Quality Deer Hunting is a my choice but I fully realize that it's not without sacrifice. You get out of it what you put into it, the dividend payment is the opportunity to shoot or pass on a buck.

Don't worry about QDM becoming UP wide. It will only happen if a vast majority of UP land owners and hunters vote in favor of it. Heck we, read Yoopers, could not even figure out how to become Superior, the 51st state. Yoopers are Superior people. :)

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
QDM is:

Adequate buck age structure

Populations maintaned at or below the carrying capacity of the land

Adequate sex ratios

Every whitetail state should follow those guidelines, and if they have to, enforce regulations to reach those 3 principles.

Bogwalker,

If a QDM plan is CORRECTLY implemented in the U.P., you will get:

More bucks
Bigger bucks
Improved sex ratios
Improved age structure
Stronger rut
Increased rut sign
More seeking and chasing by bucks
Increased daytime activity by bucks
Increased education
Increased cooperation with wildlife officials
Incouragement of youth involvement
Incouragement of habitat improvement
Improved harvest data and check station information
Input in antlerless permit numbers
Improved monitoring of anterless harvest numbers
Increased stewardship

The DNR shoves their plan down our throats every year....what's wrong with a better plan taking it's place?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
bogwalker,

Five years ago, I got it shoved down my throat without approval! Now, I can't get my fill of it.:D

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Every day we get things shoved down our throats! Game regulations, stop signs, speed limits, work times, work dress codes, license regestrations, etc...at least with QDM our voice can be herd. When was the last time you got together in a group to propose a speed limit change? or better yet when was the last time, if you have an employer, you all got together at work and said, "Lets move our start time from 6am to 9am"?

This is a chance for yoopers to finally have a say a deer management.....when was the last time?

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Bogwalker,
Omega's comment speaks volumes for his experience.

I do understand your distaste for having something "shoved down" one's throat.

I am not a torch bearer for QDM by any means. However, I do find merit in the concept and am at the point where I think we need to implement the idea for five years here in Michigan just to get over the all too often raucous and imflammatory debate and see, once and for all, if it does work. The proof will be in the pudding.

By the way BW, my wife is a Yooper, Menominee County, Birch Creek. Her maiden name was Bayerl.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't venture into this forum much. I like I read in NorthJeff's post though. You will have to excuse me as I'm ignorant on QDM mainly because of all the controversy that it has brought along.

My question is will it work on state land? Not starting anything just asking a question.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
QDM is:

Adequate buck age structure

Populations maintaned at or below the carrying capacity of the land

Adequate sex ratios
Big Game, why wouldn`t this work on state land?

All it needs is for hunters to think as managers, and getting them to look at a deer in a whole new way--as a resource that deserves proper management instead of a product produced by the state for their consumption.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm starting to see the idea of QDM and am starting to like it. My question wasn't to start anything. I just hope that it is able to be enforced across state land if it comes down to it.

·
Britt Homer
996 Posts
Big Game,

Whit1 of these forums sent a letter to QDMA posing the “can it work on State Land” question. Whit’s question and response from QDMA was published in the QDMA Mailbox section of the Quality Whitetails magazine.

I cannot put my finger on the exact date of the issue, perhaps Whit could provide his question and the response he received. As I recall, examples were provided of public land QDM program data that showed encouraging results, but I believe it was from Georgia or another southern state. I suppose some may consider that an apples to oranges comparison as it relates to potential in MI.

Nevertheless, DQM works whenever its given a fair chance, I personally have not seen any “scientific” data to lead me to believe otherwise.

Welcome to this forum, hope to see you around more often!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Whit1`s letter was in the August 2003 issue of QUALITY WHITETAILS

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
I don't have that issue anymore. I also don't recall the response, but it was well put. My question was one that bothered me quite a bit. It seems that QDM fits better into private land where habitat improvment and food plots are easier to implement.

Does anyone have that issue and refresh my memory? I don't remember as well as I used to.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Big Game,

I personally have hunted in PA for the past 11 seasons. It has been amazing to see the differences, hunting on public land the entire time, miles away from any large private tracts.

In my own personal observations, deer numbers have been cut in half, from seeing 50 deer per day, to 20-25.

It was also common to see 0-1 buck out of 50 deer, but now it has been very common the last few years to see 4-5 bucks a day, out of 20-25 deer.

In camp, and re-inforced by our local CO, the body weights by age class have been increasing each of the past 6-7 years when aggresive doe harvest was first initiated.

Also, we have harvested our most number, and largest bucks over the past 4-5 years, raising our average # of bucks taken per season to almost 6 per year, with the majority at least 2.5 years of age.

So, just for starters......less deer, more bucks, bigger bucks, increased body weights....all on national forest! Not to mention the increase in broken antlers, rubs, and scrapes. Our camp has been around for over 30 years, with close to 180 bucks taken, so it's easy to see the differences for everybody.

In all respect, if a person were to imply that QDM will not work on state land, is to show a misunderstanding of QDM. The biological aspects of QDM...which basically are the backbone and foundation of any QDM initiated regulation, are all about balance. Balance of buck age structure, balance of habitat, and balance of sex ratios.....that is it. You can have QDM without food plots, but you can't have QDM without having a population in balance with it's habitat. You can RAISE your carrying capacity with sound habitat management practice, including food plots, or even lower carrying capacities by allowing timber to mature, but bottom line, you have to have a population in balance with the habitat. Same with buck age structure, it just has to be in balance. By protecting 80% of yearling buck harvest, and adequate age structure will be produced. This too, just like PA, can be inforced and managed on public land.

In fact, I feel that QDM can at sometimes be MORE successful on public land, than private. Example: Most public land areas are below the carrying capacity of the land due to unlimited hunter usage and basically a "free passage" for anybody, and everybody to hunt on public land. So, on public land, populations and sex ratios are most likely BETTER than many private land areas. So, on public land, you can easily restrict buck harvest to at least an adequate age structure, you have an easier time keeping populations in line, and as a result(restricted buck harvest + increased doe harvest), your sex ratios can be adequately balanced.

QDM=Balance. Balance in buck age structure, balance in carrying capacities, and balance in sex ratios. Set up a plan to attain balance, and you have not only QDM regulations, but a successful QDM plan, which can be easily implemented on public land. Add cooperation with local wildlife officials, youth involvement, education, habitat improvement, and basically being a responsible, law abiding hunter or land manager, and you are not only following QDM, but are now a part of the complete QDMA experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts