·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A030BA7C-4279-48EF-A3F3-74D07D7E0859.jpeg
C9E04648-5314-4075-84A7-826284F01835.jpeg
E1EE550A-61D0-451A-ADED-A87EDE3D2139.jpeg
D5B97886-A061-4994-859F-BB4F936C1401.jpeg
I will start out with stating that I’m lucky as can be. I try to hunt the edges and stay out of the middle of my property (only 32 acres) and pick my stands based on wind direction. But I’m no master woodsman and am not a great big buck hunter. I have probably only shot 7-9 bucks in my life (I’m 43 and was introduced to hunting around 22). This is only the second buck I have taken off my own property in the 9 years that I have owned it (the first was an 8-pt last year). I pass small ones every year and usually see a shooter or three but bow season is tough and it never seems to fall into place. I usually only gun hunt thanksgiving weekend since I’m usually here the first week of November and need to spend time at home, and the bucks seem to disappear from here then anyway.
This weekend my wife and daughter were going to Girl Scout camp so I figured I would come out and give it a shot. I arrived mid-day Friday and didn’t see a deer on my Friday night hunt. This morning I only saw 3, but the first one was the most important. About 7:30 I saw a good buck following the tree line in the neighbors bean field. I grunted and he stopped but quickly kept moving. As he made his way to the creek bed I grunted again and the next time I picked him up in the binocs he was headed right towards me. I heard him grunt and as he came up the hill he was probably only 35-40 yards away. I picked an opening, mouth grunted to stop him and shot him at probably 30-35 yards. He probably ran close to 200 and I didn’t know he was dead (I lost him and wasn’t sure where he went) so I waited 20 minutes before getting down. When I found blood at the shot site I was excited but hesitant since I saw him run probably 100 yards and he didn’t slow down or fall over. I slowly tracked him and found him floating in the creek. I was (and am) ecstatic to say the least. I may very well never see a buck of this caliber again in my life. I understand that some of you guys see deer like this annually, but he is probably 50% bigger than anything I have ever shot. DNR aged him at 4.5. 15 points. Hillsdale county. Took him to Jerome for processing and he is currently at the taxi and it is gonna be a long several months until I get to see him again.
Lucky as can be and blessed to be that lucky. Enjoy the rest of the season everyone and good luck to all of you!!
Also, thanks to all of you for posting your success pics and threads. It is good motivation for the rest of us to never give up because you just don’t know what might walk in front of you one day. That is why I’m sharing this story with my MS family. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
That's an amazing buck, and thanks for the story. It is especially bad when I see a similar buck in the paper from some teenager. How do you make him understand that for the rest of his life it will be down hill?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
View attachment 460713 View attachment 460715 View attachment 460717 View attachment 460719 I will start out with stating that I’m lucky as can be. I try to hunt the edges and stay out of the middle of my property (only 32 acres) and pick my stands based on wind direction. But I’m no master woodsman and am not a great big buck hunter. I have probably only shot 7-9 bucks in my life (I’m 43 and was introduced to hunting around 22). This is only the second buck I have taken off my own property in the 9 years that I have owned it (the first was an 8-pt last year). I pass small ones every year and usually see a shooter or three but bow season is tough and it never seems to fall into place. I usually only gun hunt thanksgiving weekend since I’m usually here the first week of November and need to spend time at home, and the bucks seem to disappear from here then anyway.
This weekend my wife and daughter were going to Girl Scout camp so I figured I would come out and give it a shot. I arrived mid-day Friday and didn’t see a deer on my Friday night hunt. This morning I only saw 3, but the first one was the most important. About 7:30 I saw a good buck following the tree line in the neighbors bean field. I grunted and he stopped but quickly kept moving. As he made his way to the creek bed I grunted again and the next time I picked him up in the binocs he was headed right towards me. I heard him grunt and as he came up the hill he was probably only 35-40 yards away. I picked an opening, mouth grunted to stop him and shot him at probably 30-35 yards. He probably ran close to 200 and I didn’t know he was dead (I lost him and wasn’t sure where he went) so I waited 20 minutes before getting down. When I found blood at the shot site I was excited but hesitant since I saw him run probably 100 yards and he didn’t slow down or fall over. I slowly tracked him and found him floating in the creek. I was (and am) ecstatic to say the least. I may very well never see a buck of this caliber again in my life. I understand that some of you guys see deer like this annually, but he is probably 50% bigger than anything I have ever shot. DNR aged him at 4.5. 15 points. Hillsdale county. Took him to Jerome for processing and he is currently at the taxi and it is gonna be a long several months until I get to see him again.
Lucky as can be and blessed to be that lucky. Enjoy the rest of the season everyone and good luck to all of you!!
Also, thanks to all of you for posting your success pics and threads. It is good motivation for the rest of us to never give up because you just don’t know what might walk in front of you one day. That is why I’m sharing this story with my MS family. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.
That’s one hell of a buck! I love the mass! FYI... Once your taxidermist capes out your deer you can ask for your horns and hold on to them until he is ready to mount then you take them back. That’s what I always do. The buck I shot this year I have the horns here at home. I have never met a taxi who has a problem with it. At least while your waiting all those months you have the rack to enjoy. But great buck! Congrats again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congratulations... I'very been hunting for a buck like that for 27 or so years... I missed one about 15 yrs ago that may have been my once in a lifetime deer... that's another story... congrats again!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love the whole story. Congratulations.

A couple of us have thing for "dressed weight", lol. Did you weigh him by chance?
Unfortunately I don’t have a scale. I thought about one (and likely will get one now) but unfortunately too late for this beast.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
That is a impressive set of headgear you have there I am amazed that deer went that far with that shot. Congratulations.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Congratulations on a tremendous buck !

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
WOW !!!!!!!!!! Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Big CC
1 - 20 of 113 Posts