Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
moved into one of the woodduck boxes I have in my yard. Its an owl. Don't know what kind. For the past three evenings I would see it sticking its head out of the box right around dusk. I'm hoping that one of these evenings I'll see him fly out and them I'll get a better look at it. It would be kinda cool if it sticks around and maybe nests in it next spring. The other box still has the honey bees in it (see pics in gallery) so I may be building a few more boxes real soon if I want the woodies to nest in the spring. I'll try and get a pic next week.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Owls will nest this time of year.
They are some of the first birds to do so in Michigan.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Are ya? I have a pond but small i did not think they would'nt nest very far from the water?wood Duck. You must be on a lake? Let us know what kind of Owl?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
That is cool. I was out ice fishing the other day and was serenaded by an owl in the trees surrounding the lake.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
secondgear, I have about 4 acres of wetlands next to the house. Not a lot of water in it but enough to keep the ducks happy.

He's still there. Watched him fly out of the box this evening. My guess is its a screech owl. Real little thing. My son snuck up to the box and when the owl turned his head to look at him I could see two little "horns" (like a miniature Great Horned Owl). This evening he had his head sticking out of the box from 4:20 PM until 5:50 PM when it flew out. With all this snow, I can't imagine what he can find to eat.

trout, nice to see you come out of hibernation:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts