Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just finished working on a new storage box/seat for my Frabill. I should have room inside for everything I need. Each box has 6 compartments. I have a couple of blocks attached to the bottom of the lower box that fit into some recesses in the sled portion of the shanty. They keep it from sliding around. Now I just need to add a couple of screw eyes and bungies that will serve to hold the bait bucket and lantern in place and I'm all set. Now when it's time to go, I just have to put the box in the sled and throw the bait bucket, lantern, and auger in there and I'm all set.
It's probably a little bigger than it needs to be but because it's the full width of the sled, I think if my son wants to come along and it's cold we could both squeeze inside. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Great idea! Nice work. :)

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Aaahhhh, NICE!! I'm contemplating something like that also. Are you using that as a seat also? I'd hate to hear what my butt and back would be saying after an "all dayer" on that. Do those compartments "slide" out like drawers? I wouldn't wanna have to "get" up everytime I needed something out of them. Are ya getting a sense of how LAZY, I am??? LMAO. Awesome idea, though.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
William, I thought about making them slide out drawers but at this point didn't want to spend the time. I've still got some material left and I think in the off season I might make another box for the top with drawers. Then if I want the drawers I can just pop that one on top instead. The dividers are just 1/4" birch plywood. They come in and out as needed also.
I'm thinking about upholstering the top with some foam and nice heavy duty vinyl or something like that. It would be much more comfy then. ;) But I can do that whenever. No big rush on that. I don't usually pull "all dayers" anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Good Looking Rig! Better be careful, if you get to much stuff to haul you'll have to get a snowmobile or quad to pull it with! ;)

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree there Burskee ! :)

Like I said, it's oversized but that's just because I use it for a bench seat too. I've got no intention of filling it up. (Famous last words ;)) I have cut way back to just the essentials and it shouldn't be too bad to pull.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I could do something like that for my Shappell 3000 to sit on top. I bet I could put little "skis" on the bottom to fit into the grooves so it wont slide off? Thanks for the ideas. Now I just need to learn how to measure and cut stuff.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Very Nice John! Now I know what to do with those extra plastic tubs after all!!!

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for the input and compliments !

WHB got me thinking a bit this afternoon. I had thought about putting drawers in it but didn't want to make it too complicated. Once it was complete it was nice but I could see it needed a drawer. I got the gears turning in my head and engineered one. It was actually pretty simple. I just modified the existing top box a bit and made a drawer for it. The center compartment now has a nice little slide out drawer for often needed items like jigs, Waxie containers, etc. It worked out very well because it's right in the center and I can just look down and pull it out between my legs without having to get up and pull the lid off. I just finished it up and put the finish on it a few minutes ago. It'll be dry in the morning and I'll take a picture and post the "New and Improved" version. :)

Thanks again to all !

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
looks awesome i have been looking at those frabills but didnt like the lack of a seat or storage like the fish traps. looks like you solved the problems!

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are a couple of pics of the new and improved product.

Now I've got a nice little drawer right in the center for jigs, bait, etc. Anything that I might want to access frequently, it's right at my fingertips.

Boy this is fun !

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
NICE LOOKING BOX. If I could make a suggestion, how about a swivel seat with a back rest? I know you said you might need room for another person so maybe you could fix the seat so you can take if off when you need to or if there is room to put two smaller seats. I can't fish very long without back rest.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
What you might use a boat cushionto sit on.(throwable live preserver)There water proof also.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Great looking box!
Also love the creativity of the additional suggestions.
I have just one caution:.......the idea of having 'more space' than is needed is DANGEROUS!!!!!
Remember the old saying, "work multiplies to fill all available time"? Well, I have found out that "tackle multiplies to fill all available space".........

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again guys.

I was thinking about a back rest but I want to keep the total height less than about 18" so it will fit in the bed of my truck and still be able to close my tonneau. Lying in bed last night I was thinking about it and I've come up with a way to have an easily removeable back rest. Gonna work on that today. ;) I'll post more pics when done. :)

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Originally posted by jpollman
I was thinking about a back rest but I want to keep the total height less than about 18" so it will fit in the bed of my truck and still be able to close my tonneau......
What about making a "folding" back rest? Kinda like those stadium seats/cushions you see. They fold to a 90 degree and have straps to hold the back from folding to far back. After all the "engineering" I've seen on this project it shouldnt be to hard for you to figure out!;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts