Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the deal. Because I forgot my normal Sage 5wt rod on a recent fishing trip I bought a cheap 7-8 weight rod with the intent that I would use it for salmon/steelhead fishing with flies. I intend to buy another spool for my exisiting reel to hold the new heavier fly line and I imagine I will need a lot more backing than I've put on my other spools. Will this be an easier rig to chuck and duck flies with or should I just put a straight spinning reel on the rod and use that with the flies?

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My goal is to catch my first salmon or steelie on a fly. I will be around the Big M somewhere but not on it :) I've fitted my rod with lots of backing and some 8 wt floating line. Any other suggestions? WEEZER, a pick from our fly selection that you would recommend? Techniques for spotting the fish in the river or creek :) that I will be fishing in?

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well another post to myself. One worry I have is with these heavy leaders I've made up with 12lb Maxima to loop through my loop leader system, what's gonna happen when I get a nasty snag? What's gonna break first the leader or fly line? Glad I bought some cheap fly line for this chuck and duck rig.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
for around $25 you can get shooting line(.31). floating line will work for c&d though.
run 20-25lb test line (6ft or so nail knot to fly line) then run a barrel swivel then run your leader and fly off that. There are a lot of variations that's just the way that I do it.
The loop to loop won't pull out on snags if your perfection loops are tied good! I would run a heavier loop (20-40lb) even for trout leaders! It will turn your fly better! :)

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not worried about my perfection loop pulling loose, just breaking the fly line before the leader breaks :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
your flyline will stretch out but it shouldn't break, your nail knot may break but that is about it! Use 10lb tippet or lighter depending on the river you are fishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts