Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm not old-school vet when it comes to Lake St. clair ice fishing, I've put in a lot of hours over the last decade. Probably more than most...

In any case, I want to take you back real quick, to a forgotten time....

I pulled into the lot with three dollars in my hand, intending to pay to park. But, being a Friday morning, the attendant decided to skip work and sleep in. Besides, there were only three cars in the lot - not really worth his time.

Despite the lack of attendance, it was a nice day for ice fishing - about 30 degrees with light snow, and calm winds. The lake was also relatively deserted, and peaceful.

I was fishing in three-feet of water around a real thick weedbed. Just on the outside of the hole, I could see a few left-over reeds that formed a nice line. Shallow-water pigs were cruising the area, picking off little rockies, bluegills, and cannibalizing dinks of their own species. What fun.

A regular came by the shanty to see how I was doing. He's was an older fella that I saw daily on his treck to his own honey hole. He liked to fish deeper and slower, sitting on a bucket, and had been scoring lately on a small jig with spikes. We shot the bull for a minute, then each went back to our business.

My walk in around noon was made a little more difficult by an additional two-inches of snow that fell while I was oblivious in the shanty. I found myself envious of an ice angler on a four-wheeler as he blazed past me. That year, the use of "machines" seemed to be gaining in popularity. In the past, they were rare to see on the ice; this year, I had seen over a dozen.

The following day found me back in the same spot, doing the same thing, likely looking at the same giant fish that wouldn't bite. But they kept me entertained. Being a Saturday, the ice was busier; probably fifty or more fishermen were within a mile of my location.

This type of story might seem foreign to many of you that fish the busy ice of St Clair these days. You probably wouldn't believe that is was only about 8 years ago...

And the location was Gino's...

My, how things have changed.
Good fishing.
-extreme

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Ha ha ha,i remember fishing ginos and bye my house south of shook & jefferson it was very rare to see more than a few people let alone shantys and the walleye fishing was as good as the perch.That was 37 years ago:yikes:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes . Times have changed alright. Loose lips sink ships. You probably can recall the time when you were in a great spot and were told to keep ur mouth shut and you did. And that was times back before internet and cell phones. Sad but true, but lotta younger folks cant wait to report a hot spot ,then only to complain about no parking and crowded conditions. Go figure !

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
At the ripe old age of 15 (60 yrs ago) myself and a bud ventured into the unknown known as Anchor Bay. The only place we knew to get bait was Tips. I could not believe that the building is still there with the Tips sign still on the building.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Biggest change I have is I was able to get in any marina 25 years ago, now, hardly none. Even if you have a boat there. Locked down tight. seeya

·
Registered
306 Posts
Used to fish off the IRA water tower all time . 12of water and nice fish all the time. Walleye were common. Don't see anyone out there anymore. Wonder why?. I haven't fished the US side since the racing started.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Used to fish off the IRA water tower all the time . 12of water and nice fish all the time. Walleye were common. Don't see anyone out there anymore. Wonder why?. I haven't fished the US side since the racing started.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The information age in conjunction with the recession. I got into ice fishing because the work was slim pickens for a long time there.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anyone remember walking out at Cotton Rd and buying a coffee or a hotdog from the carny trailer that use to be set up there from time to time years ago?

I remember all those permanents too Salmon....

·
Registered
97 Posts
We used to have permanent shanties at Fair Haven til somebody decided to burn all the shanties down.After that,no more permanents.That was a long time a go.

·
Registered
543 Posts
im only 23 but I remember the good times with my father and grandpa, pounding big fish with 30 guys by south river road when the water was higher about 10 years ago, or lined up down the beach and guys sprinting ahead of the pack drilling holes, only to have everyone else follow after he starts nailing fish. Also remember constantly finding fish to the south of the selfridge dnr launch, now its a ghost land over there.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We used to have permanent shanties at Fair Haven til somebody decided to burn all the shanties down.After that,no more permanents.That was a long time a go.

Now that makes me feel old! I remember when Tips rented shanties!

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
im only 23 but I remember the good times with my father and grandpa, pounding big fish with 30 guys by south river road when the water was higher about 10 years ago, or lined up down the beach and guys sprinting ahead of the pack drilling holes, only to have everyone else follow after he starts nailing fish. Also remember constantly finding fish to the south of the selfridge dnr launch, now its a ghost land over there.
on the clinton river .....that was way too much fun !.....but I think it was more like 20 yrs ago ! or 30 !

·
Registered
543 Posts
on the clinton river .....that was way too much fun !.....but I think it was more like 20 yrs ago ! or 30 !
sorry i meant in the bay. in the river ive fished maybe twice in my life i remember sitting there not catching jack, when everyone using wigglers was slamming them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I remember mom droppin me and a bud off at locals marinas..didnt take much for us to fillup a bucket of jumbos all winter long! Now you cant gey into any decent marinas when its prime time. 12-14 inchers were much much more common now alot of guys mount 13-14 inchers I would get at least 5-10 that size every year. Alot of good ole timers that got me goin ice fishin you just dont see anymore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts