Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We camped at the "upper" part of Upper Hamlin Lake. Our first night was an all night thunder storm. I was pretty confident our new Marmot tent would keep us dry and it did.

I didnt realize that part of the lake was so shallow and so weedy. I'm sure it will be choked out within a couple more weeks. In the first 5 minutes I was trying to troll a floating Rapala and immediately hooked up with a fish.........which I thought was going to be a hammer handle pike. Turns out it was an 18" Walleye. What a shocker!

I tried to kayak to some deeper water and no weeds, didn't happen. I got frustrated and went back to the campsite.

Went out one other time by the State Park............trolled around and got nothing.

So, I got home yesterday and decided to go fishing this AM.........on the water at 6:30 am and proceeded to get a limit of nice gills. Off the lake by 9:30 a happy man.

So happy, in fact, I am going tomorrow too!

Love the Gulp Alive 1" minnows.......

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Nice job on the eye. The upper lake does choke out a bit that far up with weeds, but not usually quite this early. But then again, this weather has everything way ahead. In the future, heading west a ways will get you out into a little deeper water, and less weeds out towards the middle.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You need to find the river channel and fish the pockets in the weeds along the channel. Or the west end of the weed bed toward the narrows. The river channel is 10' to 12' deep and the west end of the weed bed drops off to 12 to 14' deep. Then there is the narrows, another place to fish. Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
The river channel is 10' to 12' deep and the west end of the weed bed drops off to 12 to 14' deep. Then there is the narrows, another place to fish. Good luck!!
And the closer to the narrows you get, the deeper it gets. From about Lincoln Rd and west, you can find some sharper drops and deeper water. Up around sunset bay and just east of the narrows, it will drop off to more like the 30 foot range, and those drops can be pretty good too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts