Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished a NW river today and it was my first wild trout experience. I stood high above the flow, peering down through the canopy. I could see water but the path of least resistance was still a mystery. A deep "gulp!" and a 10 second controlled slide later, I was poised at the edge, ready for action. A small pool just upstream held a dark bottom and some wood. With a single cast of my panther martin spinner I was hooked up with a fish, but alas it was a wild shiner. After a short stroll upstream in the knee-deep water I paused to check my surroundings and noticed a small area where the pace of the flow quickened. I whipped the spinner up as far as I could and after a sereies of blindingly quick handle turns, my reel was abruptly jolted with a strike that I knew was a little different. The fish lept several times and tried to take a route between my legs. It quickly relented and laid on its side, waiting for me to hold it. I slid the fish into my left hand and marveled at its beauty. A Brown, perhaps 9 or 10 inches - its many colors dancing in the reflections of the water. So many dark spots on its back and with a myriad of red dots on its side. It had not a blemish on it. I stared into his eyes and thanked him for the moment as I released my grip and he shot upstream to a nearby shadow. Over the next 3 hours I released 7 more of his relatives - all Browns and within an inch of the first. I had 3 other larger trout that struck, looked, or followed - yet would not commit to the steel hook. I have experienced so many fishing experiences in my lifetime, but I will always remember my first wild trout trip.

By the way, yes the climb back up the hill sucked.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
so many adventures ahead....

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
hello new addiction!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm new to the trout thing too, and already addicted. If you don't have one already, you need to get a vest. I'm fishing pretty small water and got my personal best 17" brown a couple weeks ago. He actually hit my spinner 3 times before I finally had him hooked. One of the coolest fishing experiences of my life. It's worth dealing with the muck, brush, and mosquitos.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm new to the trout thing too, and already addicted. If you don't have one already, you need to get a vest. I'm fishing pretty small water and got my personal best 17" brown a couple weeks ago. He actually hit my spinner 3 times before I finally had him hooked. One of the coolest fishing experiences of my life. It's worth dealing with the muck, brush, and mosquitos.
Yes, indeed. A new vest . . . back-up waders . . . more rods . . . this is going to cost you plenty!

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Cool story, typical experience, dem trouts don't come to easy!!! Thanks for sharin' and congrats!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, it was fun! I grew up stream fishing for smallmouth bass and they are just as spooky in a creek as a trout so I knew a little bit of what to look for and how to act! I found the two to be not that dissimilar. The water did not require waders. I was in shorts and tennis shoes. I fished one of the named flows. Water was clear. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts