Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Next week me and some buddies are making our first trip to Burt lake, The temps are looking awesome up that way. Obviously, im not looking for any spots or honey holes, but this lake is much larger than anything im used to fishing. Any general locations, depths, dangers to look out for would be greatly appreciated. I've been depressed with the lack of ice so far this season but seems like mother nature is changing in our favor. If anyone is going to be fishing Burt lake next weeking I would love to try and link up. I've got plenty of room in the shack!!

· Registered
1,616 Posts
Burt is a tough lake to fish in the winter but remains very popular. My experiences have been to set your tip ups or jaw jackers, jig some and take your incidentals as they come. Don't expect to slay the perch or the walleye. If going for Burbot the spawn will be happening around the second week of Feb. Fish them at night in 35' off from Chippewa Beach.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
There are a couple access points but they will be crowded. Maple bay is the most popular. I wouldn't definitely do some more recon before running a machine

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
10,682 Posts
Talked to my Mom today and she said they are out there fishing but no machines yet. East side of lake

And also to everyone that checks this thread. If you use an access area to get on the lake, please clean up after yourselves. And be careful where you park and show respect towards the people that live near the access area’s. It’s always an issue and it never surprises me how crappy some “sportsman” can be.

· Registered
874 Posts
Talked to my Mom today and she said they are out there fishing but no machines yet. East side of lake

And also to everyone that checks this thread. If you use an access area to get on the lake, please clean up after yourselves. And be careful where you park and show respect towards the people that live near the access area’s. It’s always an issue and it never surprises me how crappy some “sportsman” can be.
I feel the same brother. They destroy lakes Cadillac and Mitchell. Me and my wife would walk out around where most were congregating and pick up on Sunday evenings. It would be terrible. We would find dirty diapers and all kinds of trash. So sad someone would want to do this in the whole save the planet generation

· Registered
1,719 Posts
Burts fun to fish, but yea it can be tough. I haven't fished it in a few winters because for me, driving that far north for a few days only to come back with 5 or 6 eyes and maybe get on some perch, just isn't worth it. Especially when there's so many other times throughout the year to really stock up on walleyes.

It always amazes me though. A body of water like that and some other northern lakes should be able to produce solid walleye fishing year round. You look at Wisconsin and they have some amazing inland ice walleye fishing. Why can't Michigan be similar? Any way, different topic for a different thread.

· Registered
1,342 Posts
It always amazes me though. A body of water like that and some other northern lakes should be able to produce solid walleye fishing year round. You look at Wisconsin and they have some amazing inland ice walleye fishing. Why can't Michigan be similar? Any way, different topic for a different thread.
Never ice fished it and I know how hard that lake can be to produce a good bite.

Back when I started fishing that lake I found out fast how it was protected by other fisherman coming in and packing there coolers full.

The lake can only re produce so many fish and at some point it's going to be hard fishing this fall I was staying at the state campground and a group of people came in and they said they come every year this time to fill there coolers and we're bragging on how fast they could do that

So we wonder why some lakes take a down turn on catching fish, I know there's many other reasons but that type of fishing don't help

Good luck

· Registered
2,704 Posts

Ya it gets very crowded at the few public launches available. I fish elsewhere even though the lake is 5 Mins from me.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the responses fellas. I defiantly dont resent people for being tight lipped. We have the same issue in Ohio. As soon as something gets posted on fb or social media that spot gets destroyed. Ive got my honey holes as well i only tell a few close to me. Just looking to get out of the house for a few days and if i can put a few fish topside, i will consider that a win. Me and my buddy are heading up a day earlier than the rest of our group so we might try and get on a smaller body of water up that way too.

· Registered
1,950 Posts
Burts fun to fish, but yea it can be tough. I haven't fished it in a few winters because for me, driving that far north for a few days only to come back with 5 or 6 eyes and maybe get on some perch, just isn't worth it. Especially when there's so many other times throughout the year to really stock up on walleyes.

Burt used to be an easy place for the average fisherman to take home a meal. A couple homemade tip ups, a clip on depth finder and a dozen blues was all a man needed to be successful. Same scenario on Mullett and Black. You can blame the current situation on whatever you like, but the fact is none of them are even close to the fisheries they were, and probably won't be again in my lifetime.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
Burt used to be an easy place for the average fisherman to take home a meal. A couple homemade tip ups, a clip on depth finder and a dozen blues was all a man needed to be successful. Same scenario on Mullett and Black. You can blame the current situation on whatever you like, but the fact is none of them are even close to the fisheries they were, and probably won't be again in my lifetime.
Agreed. I've seen the decline in the 20 years I've been fishin the lake. Sad really.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same situation down here. Not sure if you guys have the same issue up north, but i live in the heart of amish country and they have decimated the fish populations in almost every lake around here.

· Registered
1,950 Posts
Same situation down here. Not sure if you guys have the same issue up north, but i live in the heart of amish country and they have decimated the fish populations in almost every lake around here.
Not much pressure from the Amish around here, but greedy a-holes are greedy a-holes, and the end result is the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts