Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess if you fish long enough it is bound to happen at some point. I was fishing with my brother Saturday and was downstream from him after a 18/19 inch brown hit his streamer. He realized after fighting it for a few minutes that it was foul hooked in the tail (which is disappointing, because it would have been his biggest trout of the year). He was having trouble controlling the fish, so he hollered down to me to help him land it. I was without a net, but made my way upstream and grabbed the fish for him, but it slipped out of my hands and took off again, embedding the trailer hook deep in my pinky. I ended up landing the fish (not tough since we were connected), got the hook out of the tail and released her, and then tried like hell to pull the hook out of my finger with no luck. I then tried pushing the hook through to cut the barb, but it was trying to come through where my fingernail was, so that wasn't working either. We had only been out for 30 minutes or so, so I sat on the bank and had a few beers while he proceeded to pull a few more fish out of the holes we were at, then we headed to the med center and they numbed me up and took it out.

I was back fishing the next day.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
could have been worst!

<iframe src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/media/embed/567" width="567" height="345" frameborder="0"></iframe>

direct link to video if this does not work!

[ame="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/567/"]Fishing Fly Stuck in Eye - Video[/ame]

·
Registered
373 Posts
Glad you did the right thing by hanging out and letting your buddy fish. If there is a moral to the story that is it. Oh yeah, and the other moral of the story is that beer is an important addition to any first-aid kit.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Glad you did the right thing by hanging out and letting your buddy fish. If there is a moral to the story that is it. Oh yeah, and the other moral of the story is that beer is an important addition to any first-aid kit.
for sure beer in the medical kit and this video next time may save you a trip to the hospital you know cause medical bills suck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is a huge reason I pinch all my barbs. I've lost track of how many times I've hooked myself.

Here is one from last year. This is how I hook myself more than anything. Double fly rig, fish flops out of you hands and takes off. I think small fish are worse becuase they don't break the line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
for sure beer in the medical kit and this video next time may save you a trip to the hospital you know cause medical bills suck!

How To Remove a Fish Hook Pt 1, Hook in Arm - Cross Current TV - Episode 1 - YouTube
This technique works like a charm. I had a scrappy CO bow plant my dropper into my pinky while I was taking the dry hook out. I didn't, as it was my first time, but you can do this in the field and keep fishing. Zero pain. If you haven't seen this video, you should. It could salvage a trip for you someday.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
This technique works like a charm. I had a scrappy CO bow plant my dropper into my pinky while I was taking the dry hook out. I didn't, as it was my first time, but you can do this in the field and keep fishing. Zero pain. If you haven't seen this video, you should. It could salvage a trip for you someday.

exactly that why i put it up there also don't do it if you get it in your eyes! this is why you should have a pair of sunglasses at all times when on the water fishing! any ways bets of luck guys.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts