Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after about 2 fawns got done playing around our stands, 2 bigger does made their way around me but were too far to take a shot at (maybe 55 yards - I was in the back -center stand). I noticed that a Bush about 100yrds going crazy like a mad bull was in it. Turns out a buck was making a scrape and messing around with it. I tried calling it over with some doe sounds from myself.... too bad I didn't have one I could blow in. About 2 minutes later 2 bucks were walking my way (north) but were too far in. I grunted a little and one kind of stubbornly switched directions and walked a little closer to me and ate some leaves. It then was heading more north towards the other field and I figured this would be my only chance today to shoot at one. I made a doe sound and it stopped in its tracks about 45 yards in front of me and I took the shot. It hit mid-to-high center mass and dropped him right there. His hind end was paralyzed but he was still alive. We had to take a point blank
shot to finish the job.

It was 9:30 when the shot was made and about 2 hours later we finished the gut job..lol! My first time gutting a deer and same with matt's.

Buck checked out at a 5-pointer around 1.2 years old ( could tell by the teeth)
Processor weighed it at 140lbs on the dot.

The other one that got away was a 8 pointer or larger ahhh!

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Very cool! Congrats!

·
Registered
600 Posts
You will never forget this one. The first is always the best.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will never forget this one. The first is always the best.

I was shaking like a leaf. I honestly couldn't believe my "hail-mary" shot hit him, let alone took him to the ground (thank god). Now I sort of have a feel for the range of my stand. I think i'll be even more excited when I get to use my 20 yard pin on a buck!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Congrats...you will remember it always...

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Congrats! Thanks for the story and the photos.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
about 2 hours later we finished the gut job..lol! My first time gutting a deer and same with matt's.

Congrats !!! Great job !!

Holy crap, 2 hours !!! That has to be a record...:lol::lol::lol:

Soon enough you'll have it perfected and knock it down to 90 minutes..:lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts