Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was my first year deer hunting and I got out there as much as I could. I saw quite a few deer on the East side of the property we hunt but never fired a shot for many reasons. Couldn't take a shot, passed on deer, and got busted by the deer, etc!

This year, I couldn't wait for opening morning. I had scouted for a long time, sighted in the 870 and patiently waited.......and waited, and waited, till Nov 15. I had my spot picked, right in the middle of the property. Well, Nov 15 was a cold and rainy day and neither my husband or I saw a deer from our stands (I had a close encounter with a curious squirrel but that's another story!).

After that close encounter, I decided to hunt from our ground blind, lol (I'm afraid of heights to top it off). I set up on a far West corner where the deer seemed to funnel from all of the signs. I patiently sat for the mornings before work and took off of work for a couple of hours in the afternoon before heading back to work. Didn't see one deer which was odd after all of our scouting and the many deer we had seen previously. Patience..... ;) My mind kept telling me to go back to my old spot from last year.

Saturday afternoon, my husband got a nice buck. Very thrilling! He showed myself and our oldest how to dress out a deer.

Sunday morning, I was sitting in my blind and I heard noises to the back and the heart started thumping. Then, I heard foot steps. They kept getting closer and closer to the point I was getting concerned it was another hunter checking out my blind. I thought, do I yell Hello???? I waited and the steps were right out the zipper, a foot behind my back and I hear a big breath, it's deer! The deer trotted off and I got a quick glimpse out of one of my windows of a nice doe, followed by steps of another right behind her. They hung out for a while behind me, not spooked but curious and I didn't have a shot.

On to Monday

On a whim, I decided to hunt my spot from last year in the afternoon, it just felt right.

I hear steps to my right and see deer through my cover, I'm ready. The deer must have got a vibe and they back tracked. I hear deer behind me and switch to shooting right handed and hope that deer will come out to my left. Felt like eternity but the deer finally stepped out from the orchard row. Took a breath and pulled the trigger.

My first deer! Thanks to EVERYONE for all of the encouragement over the years, beginning with Hunter's safety, etc.!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Dressed it all on my own with 3 of our 4 boys getting an anatomy lesson, they found it very interesting.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Congrats!!!! It's worth the wait isn't it!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Nice post! There's nothing like it when all the hard work finally pays off :)
Congratulations!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Tangleknot,
Congratulations.
It's a big decision to pull the trigger. Glad that you waited until the external circumstances and your internal circumstances were both right.
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures
That's at least one deer for the 2005 WWOW huntress safety class.

Lindsey

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
:woohoo1: :woohoo1: :coolgleam :coolgleam

Way to go Sarah !

I had to laugh about the saying hello thing :)
But, Your right. There's alot of people out these days, and it's not worth the risk getting shot.

I pictured you hearing something comming in and saying
" Hello ? " and a massive 20 pointer with a 32 inch spread weighing in at around 300 lbs. picking up it's head in the brush, with you both eyeball to eyeball, 10 feet from you and peelin otta there !!!!!!!
DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very hapy for you.

It's a feelin that you could never describe ain't it.
All the work, patience and memories that you get on your journey to that first deer all come back as your standing over it.

The mixed feelings of pure joy and satisfaction, sadness and loss, exaustion and boundless energy.
All at once.

You have a deep burning ember in your soul now.

A hunters heart.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Congrats on your first. Are you hooked for life now. It's even better than flyfishing, isn't it ? :lol:

Congrats to John too.

Pictures to follow ?

Thanks,
Pat

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Congrats to you and John both. I'm sure the boys will help to make quick work out of those deer.;) It won't be long and the boys can help you fill the 'fridge too.:)

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
awesome family experience sarah. good for you and family. imagine when the boys can hunt and help out with processing. you could have one nice assembly line in the garage. where are the pics? :)

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,420 Posts
Congrats TK!
:cool:
The first one's always the hardest....it's like getting a massive monkey off your back...
:yikes:

What a rush , huh??
:SHOCKED:
The mystery of not knowing , the suspense of finding out , the rush of your adrenaline rising in your nervous system...
The deafening roar rising ; of life and death passing to ignite & sustain even more life....
You have entered the eternal circle .....
:bowdown:

I've had 'guys' tell me that they "don't get excited" - I always tell 'guys' like that , when it becomes boring , or routine and there's no challenge or rush anymore....
I'll quit!
Welcome to a new cornerstone kidd0!

Thanks for sharing , and continue to enjoy the outdoors the way that we all do....
:)

Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,755 Posts
Howdy, Sarah-

A very big CONGRATULATIONS to you on your first one!!!

The fact that you could share the field dressing with the boys is icing on the cake... ;)

Looking forward to the pics of BOTH your guys trophies. :D

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tom, that would have been classic. I thought for SURE it was a person and was actually relieved it was deer.

Thanks guys! You guys ALL touched on all of my feelings that I experienced, to say the least! Every comment rang so true. I have relived it in my mind many, many times. Growing up in a non-hunting family did not give me much support in this realm and you guys have filled up that void. :) Lindsey was my Huntress safety instructor last year and it was a great class. My friend Amy and I took it together. She got a deer last year and is still in pursuit this year.

You guys aren't kidding about the adrenaline rush. John had to tell me to "Slow Down!" when I called him. I shot it at 55 yards and got part of the heart and one lung. Didn't take a step. After I gutted it, the boys helped me load it into the truck and I pulled it up from the tail gate. No problems at the time, but WOW, was I sore for the next 2 days. They did really well with the whole thing and my 6 year old was facinated by all of those squiggly things inside.

When John got home, he asked if I had the boys take a pic. I was so pumped up I completely spaced it and I decided to skip a pic of it hanging.
Quite honestly, I made a concious choice some time ago that when I got my first deer, I was just going to post it as a deer. The next one will be a different story, but my first is my first. :) It would have been nice to have one for the photo album though. I made John go out that night so I could replay the whole experience for him, lol.

I processed both deer and learned a big lesson about not cutting through the tendon in the leg while it is hanging. :hide: They are both in the freezer and you're right Gunrod and PB, they will be enjoyed but will not make it through the year. The boys are all very excited about future their time in the woods and they enjoy helping out now with the processing aspect.

Better than fly fishing??? Hmmm.......... :fish: ;)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
tangleknot said:
Better than fly fishing??? Hmmm.......... :fish: ;)
What is better all depends on what season it is and what you're doing at the time ;)
It's ALL great!!
Thanks for the story...I knew you had one :)

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Very happy for you and your whole crew Sarah. Nice going.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,420 Posts
Splitshot said:
I'd say its a never ending story about you, your family and the outdoors.....
But THAT is the way it's supposed to be , isn't it??

LOL!!

:lol:

I forgot one other word to add , Sarah.....

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Robert

1 - 20 of 27 Posts