Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I got up about 5:30 yesterday morning and headed up the hill in front of my house cause I knew that there were some turkeys in the area. Once I started getting light enough to shoot I was hearing some gobbles about 300 yrds across the field. I lightly called back to them every 15-20 min. to let them think there was a hen my direction. I would occasionally slowly stand up and check on there progress across the field and adventually they were only 100 yrds. from me. I gave them one last yelp and got the gun up and ready. Looking through the scope I started seeing heads popping up above the alfalfa and once the saw the decoy the were on top of me at about 10 yrd. I looked them over and they were all jakes but after about 5 min. I decided that I never shot a turkey before so it was time for one to fall. I looked them all over and picked out the biggest bird with the longest beard. BOOM!! Drop in its tracks. Unfortunately I was hoping to shoot one that I could practice mounting but this one was a little small for me to spend that much time a money on. I didn’t weight mine but it only had a 3in. beard and no spurs. Took it home skinned it out for a tail fan and beard mount.
After all of that I had to get into work which wasn’t until 11:00. I got back out of work at about 4:45 and headed to my mom and dads so that I could call for my dad. Dad got home about 5:45 and we headed out about 6. We made one set at the tank for about 35 min. and nothing happened so we decided to cross the swamp right there and make a set on the other side of the swamp. We got set up and I hit the call once and I saw my dad give me the thumbs up and pointing in the field. I couldn’t see anything but I gave it one more yelp. I put my binos up and looked along the edge of the woods and could make out a slight hint of a strutting tom. Soon a hen came out and headed our direction bringing the tom which didn't let down his full strut. The hen cross over in front of us at about 35 yrds. and the tom was slowly but surely following. The Tom was behind a rock pile for me when I saw dad raise his gun up for the shot. BOOM!! Bird down at about 35 yrds. This one was very nice. He was a 22 lbs. – 8in. Beard – With 1 ½” spurs. This one I am going to attempt a full body mount on this one. Super awesome day of turkey hunting. My other two brothers haven’t connected yet but if they play there cards right they will have one soon enough.

I will put pictures on here as soon and I get them put on my computer at home.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Very cool, good luck with that first mount.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Congrats to you and dad!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts