Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm building my first AR. I'm hoping to use it for coyotes and fun plinking. I'm not shooting long distances with it. Nothing more than 300 yds is expected, and even that distance will be very rare. Most shooting will be 100-150yds or less.

I've shot them a few times and truly enjoyed it, as any owner does. I never dove into the details nor spent the time to learn the ropes of building one or researching parts. In the past month I've gone from building a complete rifle to building my own.

I want something easy to carry in the woods, versatile overall, and accurate.

Current plans:

• Spike's Tactical Stripped Lower
  • Hogue Overmolded Pistol Grip
  • TAPCO Mil-Spec Buffer Tube
  • Magpul ACS-L Stock
  • CMMG LPK
  • Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
  • Geissele SSA-E Trigger
  • Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit 16" (heavy match) Full Upper with Free Float Half Length Quad Rail (full length top rail) - Chambered in .223 Wylde
  • Nikon P-223 3x32 Scope

My lower should be here some time next week.

I'm going to try to have some self control and order parts slowly and assemble as time allows.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rifle sounds like it would shoot well. The RRA should be plenty accurate paired with the gessiele. I've always had good luck with nikon glass. As for the lpk I would look into palmetto state armory. They have a kit with the gessiele that might get you out cheaper. PSA is good stuff. Shipping is slow. It's one of those buy and forget about it until it shows up. :lol: I'm planning my next build around one of their 18" 1/8 .223 wylde uppers.

Here is a link with anything and everything you need if you have specific questions during the build. Including how-to guides.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/4_Build_It_Yourself.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you need a FFL to buy the parts over the internet and have them shipped to your home?

The only part you need a FFL for is the lower. Whether it is complete or stripped. 80% lowers can be shipped without a FFL because technically it's not a firearm yet. You need to put on the finishing touches.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rifle sounds like it would shoot well. The RRA should be plenty accurate paired with the gessiele. I've always had good luck with nikon glass. As for the lpk I would look into palmetto state armory. They have a kit with the gessiele that might get you out cheaper. PSA is good stuff. Shipping is slow. It's one of those buy and forget about it until it shows up. :lol: I'm planning my next build around one of their 18" 1/8 .223 wylde uppers.

Here is a link with anything and everything you need if you have specific questions during the build. Including how-to guides.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/4_Build_It_Yourself.html
Thank you for the link and the PSA suggestion! Its little things like this I need. I've been watching many YouTube videos for assembly tips. I like the ship it and forget it idea, its one of those... I hope my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her they cost things. ;-)

Bullet Hole here in Holland wants $50 for the FFL transfer just for a stripped lower. Screw that. I will toss my FFL buddy $20, he also has a Brownell's dealer account he said I could use. Bullet hole also can get the RRA stuff, but they want the same price as RRA sells it for. Tell me again why I need that place?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need to order and pay shipping & transfer fees for lowers

Local dealers have had them in stock as of late.
And this may become a problem for me. I may want to build more after this one. Thank god I have a wife who carries and hunts!

"Oh, you want an AR? You better build me one too!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would be interesting to hear what experience others have shooting a 3x scope out to 300 yds. With my old eyes, I would opt for a 3 x 9 scope to cover the range you are looking for.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I shot my pup this summer with a 3X magnifier behind my Eotech @ 175 yds. It was zeroed @ 200. I have astigmatism and a slight magnification on my glasses. It wasn't really hard to see tan on green @ that distance.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be interesting to hear what experience others have shooting a 3x scope out to 300 yds. With my old eyes, I would opt for a 3 x 9 scope to cover the range you are looking for.
I held one at Gander yesterday. They aren't bad. I was looking across the store and it wasn't horrible. I didn't like how small the field of view was but any AR optic is going to be small unless you go with something more like a traditional riflescope.

Another optic the guy at the counter recommended was by Leupold. 1.5-4x20mm I wasn't sure how I felt about it either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I shot my pup this summer with a 3X magnifier behind my Eotech @ 175 yds. It was zeroed @ 200. I have astigmatism and a slight magnification on my glasses. It wasn't really hard to see tan on green @ that distance.

I've heard alot of people using that set up. Don't know how well it will work at 300 but 200-in should be good. Then you still have a good close range setup for HD or a short range moving dog.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I held one at Gander yesterday. They aren't bad. I was looking across the store and it wasn't horrible. I didn't like how small the field of view was but any AR optic is going to be small unless you go with something more like a traditional riflescope.

Another optic the guy at the counter recommended was by Leupold. 1.5-4x20mm I wasn't sure how I felt about it either.
I like the leupold. Gives you a good close range and medium range option. Here is the 3-9 version of the nikon you had in your OP. I know a couple guys who use this and they like it.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-223-3-9x40-bdc-600-rifle-scope.html

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the leupold. Gives you a good close range and medium range option. Here is the 3-9 version of the nikon you had in your OP. I know a couple guys who use this and they like it.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-223-3-9x40-bdc-600-rifle-scope.html
Thank you for the link. I have a 3-9x40 on my Tikka. I like it. Just wondering if I would prefer a nice reflex sight for plinking 10-75yds and a 3-9x40 for hunting and distances. Or two different rifles!! ;-)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for the link. I have a 3-9x40 on my Tikka. I like it. Just wondering if I would prefer a nice reflex sight for plinking 10-75yds and a 3-9x40 for hunting and distances. Or two different rifles!! ;-)

Well the obvious answer is two rifles ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's the answer. You can't go wrong with two rifles .............. unless it's three.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remember the self control comment? I failed.

I had some points and gift cards for Cabela's.

The Magpul ACS-L stock was on sale to match most other retailers so I grabbed one. I also grabbed an Ergo beavertail pistol grip. I grabbed some parts from other places too.

Parts on the way:

Spike's Lower
TAPCO Mil-Spec Buffer Tube
Magpul ACS-L Stock
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
Geissele SSA Trigger
Ergo 4010 Pistol Grip

With the points and gift cards, plus searching for deals I saved well over $100 on out of pocket expenses. I found deals on everything.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nikon P223 4-12x40 - seeing yotes at distance isn't an issue :D

Beautiful rifle! 20" barrel? I considered 20" but my thought was that if I went that route I wouldn't want a heavy barrel. I felt I could get equal performance out of a heavy match 16" barrel. I'm planning .223 Wylde chamber also, so I should get very decent accuracy. My understanding is they (20" regular vs 16" heavy) are about the same weight also. I like the idea of a shorter barrel for pounding the brush and maneuverability.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of going with a 3-9x40 Nikon P-223 scope. I think 4-12 is a little much for my purpose. I think picking up a lesser expensive red dot to swap on for indoor ranges and other plinking is the way I will go.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That is a 16" Barrel and 12" Free Float Midwest Handguard (I love the handguard)

Upper is a Stag 3HL with plus package - the angle of the picture makes it look longer I think :)

I don't shoot rifles indoors, and my goal is to never let a coyote walk, regardless of distance :) That's why I wanted the 12x, plus I have an 870 if they are too close...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is a 16" Barrel and 12" Free Float Midwest Handguard (I love the handguard)

Upper is a Stag 3HL with plus package - the angle of the picture makes it look longer I think :)

I don't shoot rifles indoors, and my goal is to never let a coyote walk, regardless of distance :) That's why I wanted the 12x, plus I have an 870 if they are too close...
How's your accuracy? The RRA Predator Pursuit is a 16" heavy barrel chambered in .223 Wylde with a free floating hand guard. Paired with the Geissele SSA my rifle should be a tack driver at 16".

1 - 20 of 63 Posts