Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I hit suicide yesterday. Banking it due to my truck being down.
It was hard for me to get motivated with the snow and cold and everything thats been going down lately.
After walking down to the river and seeing the misty fog hanging in the trees, hearing the hush of the snow falling and water trickling, well the river got me back to being right again.

On my 3rd cast, using salmon skein tied in sacks bounced along the bottom. Real hard yank on the tail out! "YES"! Hooked up with a really nice hen. Biggest steelhead I've landed, "so far" this season. Very fresh, white belly. Was one of those acrobatic fish. Doing cartwheels and clearing the water by feet.
I was really digging it! Felt awesome, "I CAN catch them, yay"!

Kneeling down in the river, fish all tired out cradled in the water between my knees, I propped my phone up in the rocks for a pic. Focused it up, the river was going to be in the back ground with me holding this gorgeous hen. It was going to be epic. A framer even!
Clicked the timer, cradled the hen in my hands just above the water, all perfect like a cover shot for STS magazine. Suddenly, without warning, she had a burst of energy. Went crazy and thrashed herself out of my hands. I tried my best to keep my grip on her tail, but she got the better of me, I couldn't hold her. She managed to escape.
Click goes my camera......DOH!!!!!!!

Well thats the sort of luck I been having lately. Figures. But yes it could have been worse right?
Very nice day to be out. I got my fix. Got my head right. All that matters :)

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
I hit suicide yesterday...I tried my best to keep my grip on her tail, but she got the better of me, I couldn't hold her. She managed to escape.
Click goes my camera......DOH!!!!!!!

We've all had that happen.

Sometimes posting the failed picture instead is better/more entertaining than any hero shot.

Glad you got out and were able to hook up.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Picture doesnt really matter too much you remember it just as good either way...just 'proof'...almost all the best fish I have ever caught of any species have eluded cameras somehow. For most of 2010s I didnt even carry one 95% of the time.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Picture doesnt really matter too much you remember it just as good either way...just 'proof'...almost all the best fish I have ever caught of any species have eluded cameras somehow. For most of 2010s I didnt even carry one 95% of the time.
The memories are great, but looking back at my old fishing and hunting pictures instantly takes me back to that very day and it helps me remember everything vividly.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There is something about scrolling through past photos from fishing trips when you’re having a rough day that can help set your mind straight. Whether it’s fish photos, scenery photos, friends/family you were with, the food you were eating….. it’s all cool to scroll back through from time to time and relive the memories. When I can’t be on the river, sometimes just going through photos helps set my mind straight!

·
Registered
224 Posts
There is something about scrolling through past photos from fishing trips when you’re having a rough day that can help set your mind straight. Whether it’s fish photos, scenery photos, friends/family you were with, the food you were eating….. it’s all cool to scroll back through from time to time and relive the memories. When I can’t be on the river, sometimes just going through photos helps set my mind straight!
I sent mine off to a place that made a book for me, I dug it out last night and went thru it, its all about fishing on the BigM

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have 3 large full albums and still page through them a couple times a year. Unfortunately stopped once digital camera and phones came out. Physical pics will likely be passed down, but I've lost too many memories to deleted/malfunctioning memory cards and putting phones and digital cameras in the washing machine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are probably kids right now or soon that will have no idea that pictures were once 'printed out' rather than viewed on a digital device screen.
We remember when we invested time & effort in the taking of a simple photo. We'd have to purchase the film and load the camera, then wind up the exposed film and take it to the local Rexall that would send it out for developing. A couple weeks later we'd have the photo, if it turned out, and then paste those little corners in the photo album to save the photo with a brief description of what we'd captured. I think they meant a little more to us.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I mostly stopped taking pictures of fish years before I got a cell phone with a camera. I have a bunch of photo albums of fish I've caught, and they mostly just take up shelf space. It is fun to go through them once in a while, and revisit old memories. But I've got all the Steelhead pictures I need, for sure. I did take pics (on my phone) of a couple big Walleyes I caught, this year. 10.5# and 9.5#. I'll delete them when I get tired of showing them off.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Beautiful Michigan buck! Thanks for sharing for the people who can’t be there. Hard to beat hardware bites!
Beautiful Michigan buck! Thanks for sharing for the people who can’t be there. Hard to beat hardware bites!
You want to catch fish use spawn or beads. Been down that road years ago. What to catch pigs, put a plug in the water.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You want to catch fish use spawn or beads. Been down that road years ago. What to catch pigs, put a plug in the water.
very true. Bill Herzog certainly is known for the number of huge steelhead he has under his belt…. 100% throwing spoons if I’m not mistaken.

granted we get big ones here and there on bags/beads…. It seems like the fish that bite big intrusive hardware presentations tend to average larger.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts