Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wonz and I went out and targeted fall steel today. Decent day going 4-12. A lot of hot fresh fish in the system. The 3 males we boated we’re all over 12lbs. The hen was 6lbs. Lost some absolute brutes! I was running a 3/8 oz aero slip float on 12 lb sunline finefloat mainline, 3/8 inline sinker with 8lb sniper leader. 8 mills were the beads of choice.
Sunglasses Fisherman Sky Goggles Fish

Water Vertebrate Smile Sunglasses Fisherman

Water Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Drill Wood

Water Vertebrate Sky Cloud Fisherman

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Nice fish

Reactions: rippin lip

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice report. Did the Capn clean a nice fish at the Tippy cleaning station, Saturday afternoon?
We fished Sunday only. The little hen wrapped her self in the gills so we had to harvest her. Bled her in the river and put her on ice to be cleaned in the wonzs garage.
Glove Orange Sleeve Safety glove Cuisine

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
ride knife high on skin, slice carefully both sides of lateral line, brush on olive oil, salt pepper filet evenly , grill 2-3 minutes per side and will be fantastic. found using real mayo light coat works good its only to hold pepper salt just need light film. its stupid easy but everyone cooks the living daylights out of fresh fish.

·
Registered
16,220 Posts
Fall Steelhead bite good, fight good, and eat good. Love em.

I love some fresh Skipper filets, sauteed in butter, with minced garlic, and onions. Just a tiny bit of salt, and pepper, and sautee on high heat for about 45 seconds/side. Wipe the pan lightly with some olive oil first, so the butter doesn't scorch as fast. ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Fall steelhead are the best. The fish are in peak condition and often are willing to bite lures or spawn. Additionally there's no remorse from potentially harassing the fish during their spawning migration like in the springtime.
Whether you whack a hen in October or March, it's the same potential impact to natural reproduction. In itself, one fish is meaningless to any given year class. But cumulatively, the more fall fish put on the grill across the state, the less available hens to compete for redds in March/April. But again, it's the overall harvest that counts. If we all would harvest just 1 or 2 fish per fall, there would not likely be any harvest impact. Unfortunately, we have guides running around in jet boats on smaller, local rivers just so they can get their clients 3 fish a piece. Sucks seeing 6 chromers taken out of the system on every good fishing day by the same characters, simply cause 'its their job' to harvest a shared natural, public resource is getting pretty old. We need 1 fish harvest limit in ALL waters for steelhead and no fish for the guide's limit.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Whether you whack a hen in October or March, it's the same potential impact to natural reproduction. In itself, one fish is meaningless to any given year class. But cumulatively, the more fall fish put on the grill across the state, the less available hens to compete for redds in March/April. But again, it's the overall harvest that counts. If we all would harvest just 1 or 2 fish per fall, there would not likely be any harvest impact. Unfortunately, we have guides running around in jet boats on smaller, local rivers just so they can get their clients 3 fish a piece. Sucks seeing 6 chromers taken out of the system on every good fishing day by the same characters, simply cause 'its their job' to harvest a shared natural, public resource is getting pretty old. We need 1 fish harvest limit in ALL waters for steelhead and no fish for the guide's limit.
Several guides running 18’ jets out on the B. I shake my head seeing them going 30plus on a river that is as wide as their boat is long. Used to be confined to 2 launches but area has grown since logs have cut out.
It doesn’t seem to draw enough attention by dnr.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Several guides running 18’ jets out on the B. I shake my head seeing them going 30plus on a river that is as wide as their boat is long. Used to be confined to 2 launches but area has grown since logs have cut out.
It doesn’t seem to draw enough attention by dnr.
We were in my buddies raft back in early September and we almost got ran over by a "guide" running a jet in one of the middle stretches of this river. It was nearly dark and the guy came just roaring around the corner. Of course, he gave the, "it's a jet, I can't slow down or I'll get stuck" excuse.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts