Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out on Wednesday for a little while on a small lake. First few hours we got nothing so we kept moving around. Finally got to a spot that took the skunk off. We caught several small gills the a keeper. Then it was non-stop crappie action. I lost a ton of them at the hole and even broke a few off. If you want to know where PM me.

The big Crappie went 13 1/4 (missed my master angler patch)

Heres my catch...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anytime you want my friend let me know what days are good for you.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Will do!!!! Glad to see you posting, its been a long time!!!!! Won't be long now and I'll have to get you and Frank up here to go after what he lost last year!!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm here just got work and school and trying to start a business so I have little time for fun. Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
They look nice, I just hope you remember the golden rule because if you continue to take out those big ones there will be none left, and it does not take long!

THE GOLDEN RULE: Limit your kill don't kill your limit!

(PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
8 between 2 people is no where near the limit. And I don't get to fish too often, so I see no problem with me taking the fish.

Just got dome eating them and boy did my kids love them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IFN I just realized what you meant by "what he lost". I cant wait to try it I saw how good you did last year.

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Dude those are some realy nice size crappies and I would love to be able to catch some of those because its been a long time since I have caught crappies.Its been probaly 5 years or longer.I used to live in Missouri and oklahoma where that size crappie is a pretty regular occurance.On oct 1 st 1994 just east of Tulsa I was fishing in a water storage resevoir for the city.Believe it or not but I caught a crappie bigger than most of you can imagine.Its girth was bigger than the length of most michigan crappies.It weighed 4lbs 8 ounces 23 and half inches long and 13 inch girth.The fish was weighed 2 days after I caught it.I kept it in an aquarium hoping to keep it alive.I had this thing wrapped up in towel and stored in my freezer for 2 years hoping to someday have it mounted.Well to make a long story short it never happened and unfortunately this fish was wasted.I do how ever have the photos around somewhere of the fish laying along side of a yardstick on a bench.To this date I havent heard of anyone catching a crappie this big.This crappie tied the oklahoma state record at the time.It may have been broke by now I do some digging on the internet and find out.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
stinger63, I would love to see a picture of that fish. Most impressive ! Mike, nice fish, great catch.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
please try and find that picture, I would love to see it also. If you would have weighed it right away probally would have broke that state record. AWESOME:)

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Well I found the oklahoma fish recors page which on there shows the sizes and weights of crappie and other species.Well I need to corect myself also.My Crappie was a white crappie and the record for oklahoma largest white crappie is 4lb 15oz while the black crappie record was the 4lb 10 oz record.heres the link to the page just incase anyone wants to look.This link also contains all the other states fishing records.

http://www.hotspotfishing.com/records/records-Oklahoma.asp

PS Im looking for the pic of my crappie its buried in a box somewhere.When I find it,I`ll scan and copy it then post here for ereryone to look at.

;)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm ready when you are. :D

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Mike,

I'd like a piece of that action if you have room. I'll bring the minnows.

Nice to see you back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts