Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found two boxes of 31/2 bb kents in my garage, they have a little spot rust on the brass. Anyone know the best way to remove this?

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
This is weird, I too have a bag of Kent Fasteel bb 3.5s in the garage with rust on the brass from a snow goose hunt 6 years ago.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Steel wool should work......Mack

·
Registered
583 Posts
Feed them into your gun and cycle them through if you can. If they don't jam up from the corrosion on the brass you are good to go. Other wise use a little steel wool or a fine grit emory cloth.

I fired many "corroded, or dinged brass" shells through my 870 super mag with out any issues.

If you shoot a semi, it may be a little more finickey with the condition of the shells.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input,this site is a valuable resource. I think i will try the steel wool thing first because i am running them through a semi.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
A wire brush will take care of any rust, but you will want to give em a light spray of wd 40 after or they'll rust by the time you use them. JMO but i've shot a few rusty shells before. Just make sure the powder didn't get wet, I'd check before heading out to hunt, just in case. If you get a wad hung up without something to remove it you're screwed.

I had this one time on the bay (Remington shells suck they were brand new just out of the box, never been wet) had to use a cattail stalk or actually a couple of them before it finally came out. :dizzy: The rest of the box went into the dumpster back at duck camp! :rant:
Smoke

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Works fantastic. SOmeone else mentioned lube them up afterwards or they will rust right away once again.

If I used a pump gun, Iw ould not even steel wool them, especially through an 870. If I had my Browning Gold back I would sell the shells and buy new ones because that thing would jam even at the thought of using one. The Benelli seems to cycle just about anything, even the rusted shells. The Rem 1187 has some torubles with them, but not to bad.

That is just my experiences.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Be careful, as you could blow your ejector out if the shell hangs up in the barrel. It all depends on the amount of rust, and if you're shooting a semi.
You could try a fine wire grinding wheel, should be able to get through 50 rounds pretty quickly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts