Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,732 Posts
Yours looks really good! Mine is pretty spotty this year. Are area got moore drought than surrounding areas.

·
Premium Member
31,795 Posts
I planted Northwoods plot screen for the first time this year, and it's 8'+ with stalks as big around as golf balls.
Next trip in to pull the cam card I'll get pics but this is what it looked like on 7/31 (on the left of the buck) so it's doubled in height in the last 4 weeks. We got good rain (~2") on 7/23 and have had good soakers since. I've hit it with 46-0-0 twice just ahead of rains.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Deer Terrestrial plant

Same spot. This was on 6/13 and I planted around Father's day weekend on some solid advice.
Plant Natural landscape Vegetation Tree Grass

Latest comparison pic 8/29. August is PLOT SCREEN GROW MONTH!!!
Plant Deer Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks great. My first time use turned out better than expected. As weeks went on, I wasn’t sure what I should do with it. It was in a soil builder mix I broadcast on a new logging road on very sandy soil. My plan was to grow a mix to provide quick cover and food before weeds could set in. It worked. The sorghum was dominate growing up to 5 ft by aug 29. Seemed too thick actually as other components in mix struggled. Additionally, deer didn’t seem to feed in it and preferred to walk the edges. I wasn’t sure if I should leave it or brush hog it down and work on getting clovers established this fall. My original goal for this section of road. Late July I decided do nothing hoping it would establish seed heads and maybe feed deer into late fall winter. By aug 20 it was gaining height but only a couple seed heads developing. Also little sign of deer in it other than edges. So I broadcast clovers and a little brassica and brush hogged about 7 ft out of middle. Than broadcast a little more clover down the middle. Will find out soon if I get anything to grow thru all the slash it created. Does anyone have experience terminating it and moving onto other planting? How about getting seed heads, do deer eat them and could they be a late season draw.
Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Tree

·
Registered
205 Posts
My sorghum and egyptian wheat mix did better than expected in the dry sandy area of nw wexford county. Really did well with the lack of rain. The top rail on the blind is 10 foot. Used urea on planting then used 20-0-10 at 25# per acre every 3 weeks. I'm told it's a slower release of nitrogen. Planted the first week of june.
Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Woody plant
Cloud Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Administrator
36,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My sorghum and egyptian wheat mix did better than expected in the dry sandy area of nw wexford county. Really did well with the lack of rain. The top rail on the blind is 10 foot. Used urea on planting then used 20-0-10 at 25# per acre every 3 weeks. I'm told it's a slower release of nitrogen. Planted the first week of june. View attachment 850751 View attachment 850752

That looks extremely good. Better than mine. Where did you buy the mix. What seed rate did you use and how do you fertilize? I usually use a battery operated spreader and try and shoot it in there. I've been fertilizing mine about every 3 weeks as well but using triple 19.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
"Does anyone have experience terminating it and moving onto other planting? How about getting seed heads, do deer eat them and could they be a late season draw."

I have been planting Sorghum in the SE part of the state for a few decades and Deer do eat it. After watching the Deer for so long 90% of the Deer that eat it are the older Deer. They are eating it at the start of Gun season all the way thru the winter. I have shot a nice eleven out of the Sorghum when the snow was two feet high. Young deer do eat it but I think it may be acclimation just like how Deer eat my Asparagus in the spring.
As for Steve fertilizing it every three weeks you are wasting money. Just fertilize heavy at planting and it will grow to the maximum height. When I get out to my place in a day or two I will take a interesting picture. It will show how much the feed rate will affect your outcome. Growing right next to a thick stand is a two feet taller stand planted two weeks after the thick stand. The feed rate is now changed on my planter for next year.
When you plant the Sorghum you are giving winter food for the Pheasant, Partridge and Rabbits. I have watched a Hen Pheasant fly into the snow folded over Sorghum and appear two days later from the same spot. The Partridge use it on a daily travel feeding route.

·
Premium Member
31,795 Posts
I planted Northwoods plot screen for the first time this year, and it's 8'+ with stalks as big around as golf balls.
Next trip in to pull the cam card I'll get pics but this is what it looked like on 7/31 (on the left of the buck) so it's doubled in height in the last 4 weeks. We got good rain (~2") on 7/23 and have had good soakers since. I've hit it with 46-0-0 twice just ahead of rains.
View attachment 850642

Same spot. This was on 6/13 and I planted around Father's day weekend on some solid advice.
View attachment 850651
Northwoods Plotscreen is doing great.
Planted Father’s Day weekend and hit twice since with 46-0-0.

Plant Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Plant Beard Terrestrial plant Hat Tree

·
Registered
205 Posts
Read my notes on my screen in wexford county. Total area is about 1/3 of an acre. Used 4# plot screen from northwoods whitetails but its all sorghum. Mixed 2# Egyptian wheat with it. Used scott handheld on 2. Broadcast into disced area then cultipacked it twice. Used urea 50# on planting. Then every 3 weeks put 25# of 20-0-10 with the scott handheld. Sure worked well. it was only a foot high on the 4th of July.

·
Administrator
36,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
36,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Sky Plant Cloud Flower Natural landscape

Most of my Northwood Screen is over 10’ tall now. Spots where it was really dry in July is around 6’ as of last weekend. First year of planting anything. Planted mid June by broadcasting and added some Urea in July. Definitely learned a few things. Next year I am going to plant twice as wide as it’s too thin in some areas. Going to turn the screen into miscanthus next year, so hopefully will only need to do the NS for two more years.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lots of good growth on the Egyptian wheat and sorghum. Whats the best way next spring to remove it to replant. Lots of volume to deal with. Probably not best to put it in the same place but with lots of urea would it work. Sort of need it in the same place. Can you start switch grass with it and use the Egyptian wheat as kind of a nurse crop to get it going for the following year. Funny how your looking for next year before this ones over. Sure could use some rain here in wexford county.

·
Administrator
36,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots of good growth on the Egyptian wheat and sorghum. Whats the best way next spring to remove it to replant. Lots of volume to deal with. Probably not best to put it in the same place but with lots of urea would it work. Sort of need it in the same place. Can you start switch grass with it and use the Egyptian wheat as kind of a nurse crop to get it going for the following year. Funny how your looking for next year before this ones over. Sure could use some rain here in wexford county.

Manistee county is dry as a bone too. Rain on the way for Sunday and Monday it seems. I bought a brush hog for my tractor this year. That should grind mine up pretty good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts