Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since it is November I thought I would start a thread on my up coming black bear hunt.
Alaska offers a few options for black bear hunting. Some units you can buy over the counter tags, some units are draw hunts. Some draw hunts are for the spring or fall only and some draw hunts are for both spring and fall. Black bears are found typicAlly throughout Alaska with a few exceptions such as the north slope and Kodiak and I think a couple other islands.
I chose the black bear rich south east Alaska region. This region is a draw hunt. I also chose to try for a tag on Kuiu Island, which lies next to the more famous prince of Wales island. Only 50 tags were available.
Last November, after researching for close to a year I decided on Kuiu based on bear density, limited access, and the choice to hunt spring or fall. I wanted a remote hunt away from road systems and competition from heavy boat traffic. So, I put in my applications for Kuiu.
The application process starts every Nov1- December 16 I believe. The regs and rules on this process is a bit complex and requires diligent research. Hunters are allowed to purchase up to 6 applications per [email protected] bucks each, and have to have a current AK hunting license. I bought 6 applications and submitted them before December. Draw results are released in Feb I think.
I got lucky and Drew a tag. The successful draw percentage rate was like 17%. The regulatory year for black bear started in Sept of 2020 and ends I think in June of 2021. I chose to hunt the spring of 2021.
It's November so if people are interested in a southeast AK hunt now is the time to start the application process. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I can't wait to hear about it.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Well I came real close to putting in for PoW or one of the more remote islands. But....they put a sale out for the caribou hunt I was wanting to go on for 2022 so 2022 is set.

So far I'm still a bear hunter at heart. might make it to se alaska someday. 16b is pretty good already though.

I'm sure we'll hear more before and after spring. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
16,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Asked a long time friend if he wanted to go with me as a tag along. He said yeah. So I booked our flights. I had enough air miles to cover the flights to Petersburg, total cost for 2 tickets with insurance was 85 bucks. Such a deal. I recommend checking out AK airlines credit card promotions. Originally I was going to do the companion fare but I checked my miles and I had plenty to cover the trip + a couple more trips.
IMG_20201229_125640_01.jpg

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Asked a long time friend if he wanted to go with me as a tag along. He said yeah. So I booked our flights. I had enough air miles to cover the flights to Petersburg, total cost for 2 tickets with insurance was 85 bucks. Such a deal. I recommend checking out AK airlines credit card promotions. Originally I was going to do the companion fare but I checked my miles and I had plenty to cover the trip + a couple more trips.
View attachment 623637
Boa can be a pain in the a$$ but at least you don't have to spend any $$ to get to alaska washington or oregon all bear hotspots.

·
Premium Member
16,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boa can be a pain in the a$$ but at least you don't have to spend any $$ to get to alaska washington or oregon all bear hotspots.
Over the last 4 years I have had 0 issues with BOA.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Over the last 4 years I have had 0 issues with BOA.
They often take 5 days or more to credit my account with online payments and I call them again and again and get different stories.

Their fraud detection is on a hair trigger especially for anything online. Once I was stranded because they closed my account for a <$10 lyft payment and I couldn't get a ride back. Thankfully i found an owner operator taxi driver who gave me a ride back for the cash left in my pocket. Then i spent an hour on the phone trying to get it reinstated.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Did you look into what shipping costs are back to Michigan ?? I was a bit shocked at the costs of shipping a moose back.

Spot and stalk ??

·
Premium Member
16,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you look into what shipping costs are back to Michigan ?? I was a bit shocked at the costs of shipping a moose back.
It's quite expensive. I won't be taking all of the meat back, my pilot has given me a contact of a family that would want some of it. I will be shipping a tandem kayak out there and back. And I will pay for some of my freight back with air miles.i think I paid 50 bucks to take a 50 lb box of fish back last time I went.

·
Premium Member
16,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They often take 5 days or more to credit my account with online payments and I call them again and again and get different stories.

Their fraud detection is on a hair trigger especially for anything online. Once I was stranded because they closed my account for a <$10 lyft payment and I couldn't get a ride back. Thankfully i found an owner operator taxi driver who gave me a ride back for the cash left in my pocket. Then i spent an hour on the phone trying to get it reinstated.
Never had a problem,even booking a flight over a sat phone in the bush using the card.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
It's quite expensive. I won't be taking all of the meat back, my pilot has given me a contact of a family that would want some of it. I will be shipping a tandem kayak out there and back. And I will pay for some of my freight back with air miles.i think I paid 50 bucks to take a 50 lb box of fish back last time I went.
I knew of a guy that drove truck up there from here and it had a freezer. So, he put out there a low cost way of shipping meat, hides, antlers, ect. I think he was based out of Anchorage ?? Might look into that. If it were me...I would ship the kayak and sell or leave in storage...we were going to do a flat bottom with a mud motor on it. That way when we went back we had a way to hunt.

Spot and stalk...yes sir that is IMO the way to do it. Good and best of luck !!! take a few photos to too share :).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Well given where you are going and your experience you might top this six foot hide I just got back from 16b in August.

I might try getting dropped off in a shallow bay of the sound sometime. But I'm not sure if it would be easier just to walk around the beach instead of renting a packraft. Have you actually done this before?

·
Premium Member
16,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Forgot pic
The kayak is for transportation in case we need it, but I plan on a lot of boot time. First time doing a coastal bear hunt. I almost bought a raft and rented a motor, but the kayak is just simpler.

The waterway I picked is pretty narrow and secluded and affected alot by the tide. Basically I picked a spot on a map that is as far away from roads towns, villages that I could possibly get and tide zones that will hopefully keep the bigger guide boats out of. We will be searching for a 6-7 foot bear.

·
Premium Member
16,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The kayak isn't a pakraft. It's an inflatable ocean kayak. I'm leaving my pakraft at home.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts