Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured 60 was a milestone so I figured that I should get myself a present :ROFLMAO:. I have always had a fondness for 44mag most likely because my first nice buck I took with a Winchester 94trapper. And last year I was reading of of the post on deer hunting and 22 Chuck talked about his Ruger 77/44. That was it I sent him a pm and he told me about it! Game Over had to have one! They are no longer made but I found a new in the box rifle on gun broker. Price was rightI bought it had it shipped to Shooters Service. I went there and I said to Roger the owner that I wanted to put a nice scope on it that was equal to the caliber. He said you are not going to believe this but I was cleaning the backroom The other day and came across a Leupold vx3 1.75x6 but I don’t have the box. I said what’s the price put on and bore sighted? He told me and I said you sure? Yes was his answer so I said Deal. I am so happy with it and it is exactly how 22Chuck described it to me and then some!! I am so looking forward to November 15th. Sorry for rambling I just can’t stop smiling lol…
Roger.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I figured 60 was a milestone so I figured that I should get myself a present :ROFLMAO:. I have always had a fondness for 44mag most likely because my first nice buck I took with a Winchester 94trapper. And last year I was reading of of the post on deer hunting and 22 Chuck talked about his Ruger 77/44. That was it I sent him a pm and he told me about it! Game Over had to have one! They are no longer made but I found a new in the box rifle on gun broker. Price was rightI bought it had it shipped to Shooters Service. I went there and I said to Roger the owner that I wanted to put a nice scope on it that was equal to the caliber. He said you are not going to believe this but I was cleaning the backroom The other day and came across a Leupold vx3 1.75x6 but I don’t have the box. I said what’s the price put on and bore sighted? He told me and I said you sure? Yes was his answer so I said Deal. I am so happy with it and it is exactly how 22Chuck described it to me and then some!! I am so looking forward to November 15th. Sorry for rambling I just can’t stop smiling lol…
Roger.
Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
37,011 Posts
There’s plenty of time to break the barrel in and get it ready for the season.

Reactions: roger15055

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Happy Birthday. I dont recall all our discussion but I believe I put a shim in the bolt to remove some of the shake/shimmy.

Where I hunt most shotsare 75-85 yrds or less amd that works out juist right. I loaded some ammo w/ brass that I traded for some 35 Remington I had(he was glad to get it about 5 yrs ago) and sighted in about 1" high at 50 yrds- dead on about 95-100..
That deer would still be going if she hadnt stopped and looked back.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Roger-not to spoil your rifle, very nice looking. Mine has that plastic stock (some call it 'boat paddle, I believe').

Was digging in my file and found reciept-bought on 7-7-2015 at Jays for $765. Have a Nikon 4x scope on it. I do like the Ruger rings the way they mount and tighten, rock solid/. Ruger website shows both wood and plastic stocked models priced equal. Ive thought about a Boyds for mine, they have so me really neat colors.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s ok lol - I prefer my shotguns with the synthetic stocks but my rifles when I am sitting in my tent blind there is something about admiring a wood stocked rifle. Kinda of nostalgic for me admiring the grain and the warmth of the wood. But when I’m in the duck blind or cut cornfield and my sbe3 is there being knocked around and getting wet wouldn’t trade the plastic stock for nothing. I bet you love that scope on there. Nikon makes great stuff for sure.
Roger

Reactions: DirtySteve

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gone Coastal- Thanks I can’t wait to put it to work!! Sighting it in this weekend. Those Marlins are sure fine guns . My son has one in 30/30 a buddy has the 444 and one of my closest friends says he tamed the north woods with his marlin in 35 Remington lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your are one lucky guy!
First finding a discontinued rifle NIB, then a deal on a quality scope!
I hope you stay lucky finding ammo.
Better buy a PowerBall ticket too (I'll send you a $1) and we can split the winnings 🤑
I also prefer wood over plastic stocks, very hard to find now.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
BIGBUCKS$- Lucky or a obsessed old guy checking every gun site for months and looking for any excuse to get it!!! Just happened at the right time lol..
Then I got the classic- Is that another new gun ?what are you talking about I have had that for years:oops:. No I had a friend of mine check it out to make sure all is well and ready for season!!! Honey should we go grab dinner and a cocktail?????
I bought two boxes of mag tech 240 grain bullets they had there. But I do buy the lotto tickets not so good on that but if I win you can pick out a gun and scope my treat:cool:

Reactions: bowhunter426

·
Registered
160 Posts
BIGBUCKS$- Lucky or a obsessed old guy checking every gun site for months and looking for any excuse to get it!!! Just happened at the right time lol..
Then I got the classic- Is that another new gun ?what are you talking about I have had that for years:oops:. No I had a friend of mine check it out to make sure all is well and ready for season!!! Honey should we go grab dinner and a cocktail?????
I bought two boxes of mag tech 240 grain bullets they had there. But I do buy the lotto tickets not so good on that but if I win you can pick out a gun and scope my treat:cool:
Must have been someone else mention "classic"
I was referring to you finding a discontinued gun, NIB, and then a deal on the scope.
Fingers crossed you win the Lotto!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I was lucky for sure and you are right it is a classic. The classic I was talking about is how many times I got the question from my better half is that new?? No no then I proceed to make up a story but once it’s in the basement all good!! Seems like I get busted by her all the time on that and we are not even married :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
This year I sold four rifles and gave a shotgun that belonged to my Dad to my son in-law. As soon as he gets a purchase permit, I told him a handgun my Uncle gave me 45 years ago will get passed to him.
So I SHOULD :unsure: :rolleyes::whistle::whistle:🤠 Be good getting that rifle/scope when you win the lotto. Or even buying some.
I did buy a new to me used crossbow the beginning of the month. I had my wife with me when I made the deal, so no sneaking/hiding for me. (y):D🤠

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
My 96/44 has the same barrel and it shot the magtec 240s well.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bowhunter426- that’s great to hear I was a little concerned never knew anyone who shot them. Those 96/44 are really a sweet weapon!! The 426 Is that referring to the Hemi?

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
bowhunter426- that’s great to hear I was a little concerned never knew anyone who shot them. Those 96/44 are really a sweet weapon!! The 426 Is that referring to the Hemi?
Yes, 426 hemi. No longer have it, but still have some modern mopar muscle.

Your new gun had me looking at Rugers website and I see they now have a 77/44 with a threaded barrel. Going to have to keep my eye open for one of them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts