Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drawing a archery bow tag for iowa was like a dream come true this year. 5 years of points and 1 year to put in to draw felt like forever to wait. Countless days scouting over the last two years and gaining permission on land was extremely difficult. All done by myself and hunting alone. I was able to get a couple properties set up along with some very good state land. My main set up was on a piece of state land and a small 30 acre private piece that held good deer and lots of them. Once season opened I waited until the week before holloween to hunt. I first laid eyes on This guy that week on my first sit and had him come in to 70 yards. Then this week i went down for vacation and the property exploded with deer movement. Being a Michigan deer hunter I was in heaven experiencing deer and movement like I never seen before. Passing up shots at countless bucks a deer hunter would shoot in a second here.
Friday and Saturday I did all day sits. Friday I saw 26 bucks running around and countless doe. I took a shot at a 150s 8pt at 41 yards and shot low and missed. I was bummed. Getting up early Saturday morning ready to do another all day sit deer movement was slow in the morning and exploded at noon. Seeing countless shooters to us Michigan hunters. I wanted something special and it was my last hunt before going home. I would eat tag soup before raging any buck in iowa. Then at 2:30 I saw him, the giant 8pt not the one I missed…. No no this was a completely different class of animal both size of body age and antlers. For 15 minutes I watch this buck zigzag back-and-forth through the wood lot and through a field searching for a doe with its head down. The closest he would come to me was 60 to 70 yards before moving off down the ravine.
Then 10 minutes later I look and I see a set of antlers coming up the hill it was the same deer coming my direction walking right towards me. he walked right in front of me in at 33 yards I was already drawed back and I shot hitting a little low and back I knew I didn’t make the best shot so the first thing I did was mark my arrow and I went back to the truck. Immediately I called a couple of my friends and asked them what they would do with a suggestion of getting a dog. 36 Hour wait later and two more hotel night stays I was able to recover my deer with some help of the dog and some friends. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Rough score 165” 8 point.

Thanks to my buddy @johnhunter247 for all the help and knowledge and of course coming back down to hunt and help with tracking and I enjoyed the week.

Flash photography Plant Event Landscape Fun

Plant Hunting Deer Military camouflage Fawn

Hunting Deer hunting Trophy hunting Plant Deer

Hunting Deer hunting Military camouflage Deer Adaptation

Hunting Deer Plant Wood Natural material

Deer hunting Hunting Carnivore Plant Dog

Plant Hunting Deer hunting Smile Trophy hunting

Smile Plant Hunting Deer hunting Trophy hunting

·
Registered
502 Posts
Drawing a archery bow tag for iowa was like a dream come true this year. 5 years of points and 1 year to put in to draw felt like forever to wait. Countless days scouting over the last two years and gaining permission on land was extremely difficult. All done by myself and hunting alone. I was able to get a couple properties set up along with some very good state land. My main set up was on a piece of state land and a small 30 acre private piece that held good deer and lots of them. Once season opened I waited until the week before holloween to hunt. I first laid eyes on This guy that week on my first sit and had him come in to 70 yards. Then this week i went down for vacation and the property exploded with deer movement. Being a Michigan deer hunter I was in heaven experiencing deer and movement like I never seen before. Passing up shots at countless bucks a deer hunter would shoot in a second here.
Friday and Saturday I did all day sits. Friday I saw 26 bucks running around and countless doe. I took a shot at a 150s 8pt at 41 yards and shot low and missed. I was bummed. Getting up early Saturday morning ready to do another all day sit deer movement was slow in the morning and exploded at noon. Seeing countless shooters to us Michigan hunters. I wanted something special and it was my last hunt before going home. I would eat tag soup before raging any buck in iowa. Then at 2:30 I saw him, the giant 8pt not the one I missed…. No no this was a completely different class of animal both size of body age and antlers. For 15 minutes I watch this buck zigzag back-and-forth through the wood lot and through a field searching for a doe with its head down. The closest he would come to me was 60 to 70 yards before moving off down the ravine.
Then 10 minutes later I look and I see a set of antlers coming up the hill it was the same deer coming my direction walking right towards me. he walked right in front of me in at 33 yards I was already drawed back and I shot hitting a little low and back I knew I didn’t make the best shot so the first thing I did was mark my arrow and I went back to the truck. Immediately I called a couple of my friends and asked them what they would do with a suggestion of getting a dog. 36 Hour wait later and two more hotel night stays I was able to recover my deer with some help of the dog and some friends. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Rough score 165” 8 point.

Thanks to my buddy @johnhunter247 for all the help and knowledge and of course coming back down to hunt and help with tracking and I enjoyed the week.

View attachment 866583
View attachment 866588
View attachment 866589
View attachment 866590
View attachment 866587
View attachment 866585
View attachment 866586
View attachment 866584
A deer like that and a nwt win in the same year you are definitely living right! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
15,500 Posts
Nice job Paul. A buck of a lifetime. Congratulations

Reactions: Groundsize
1 - 20 of 311 Posts