Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with their rages not deploying? Most of my buddys use rage. Im just scared that they would malfunction..I use muzzys and have had success with them. Maybe not the 2" hole like rage but the deer go down. Is there a huge difference, and if so, would it be worth trying them? or maybe splitfire?? Id like some input before i spent the 45$ Thanks again for everyones info, im just trying to become better in the woods.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I have been hunting with spitfires for years and have had great success with them. This year I got a new bow and decided to mix things up a bit and bought a pack of 3 blade rage. After playing with them for a bit, I felt uncomfortable with the idea of shooting a blade at a deer that had more than 1 degree of freedom. They work fantastic on the turkey I shot this fall, but hunted with spitfires for deer again all fall. IMO, if you have something that works, why try and fix it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use Rage and hit a 4.5 y/o in the shoulder with almost zero penetration at 20 yards, with a 70 lb bow.

Luckily he is still going according to my neighbors, 45 days after the shot was taken.

That weekend I spoke with a couple of the trackers using dogs across the state. Each one of them asked me if I was shooting Rage mechanicals. They indicated that 90% of their business comes from mechanicals not penetrating shoulders. Gut shots, they'll do the job just fine and usually the dogs will find them if they are able to respond within 12-14 hours (varies based on weather conditions).

All of the trackers I spoke with said they personally shoot Muzzy's, and I can say I've been thinking pretty hard about that ever since. G5 claims their mechanicals penetrate better than their competition.

I may have to do some tests this winter.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I shot muzzy's for years and years without any major problems. They like any broadhead, will kill a deer with the proper placement. I couldn't get them to shoot the same as my field tips so I switched to 2-blade rage. I have never seen blood trails like I've seen since I made the switch to 2 blade rage. I'm going to keep using them until they let me down. And yes, they fly just like field tips. Also, I would never intentionally shoot a deer in the shoulder with a bow. That being said, i was a little off on a deer this year and it blew through one shoulder and broke the opposite leg on the way out. Deer piled up 50 yards away and that was the longest track job I've had since switching.

I say, give them a try!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ive used the Rage for two years now with no problems, like Thill said.... blood trails like youve never saw before. That being said, I always keep a Muzzy in my quiver as well. I keep one in the quiver in case I run into a situation where Im walking with a knocked arrow (corn field, stalking, etc.) I have also shot deer and been sucessful with the Muzzys as well as the Rage. The one downfall Ive found is the Rage will open up if they are bumped (hence why I have the Muzzy), besides that, they're great.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use to shoot spitfires, and they worked, I switched to muzzys about 11(I first put 4yrs, Iam getting old lol) yrs ago, I wanted to simplify things. when I was 14 I remember being in schupbachs and asked what was the best broadhead, he replied the one you shoot best. That stuck, I practice more with my broadheads then feild tips, I guess a rage will make up for a poor shot, but I rather not leave it up to chance.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Muzzy, been using them for a while and they perform flawlessly. Rage and Power Belts, two products that constantly have negative posts about performance, a search on this site will reveal some of those negative reviews.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a friend use the rage's one year. I will never use them after what I saw happen. He shot the deer good shot. We waited for about 30 mins then started tracking. Found the deer bed thinking we had one down. Started heading towards her and watched her start running. We then thought about our next move and decided that she was going to have to be shot again. He was able to get close enough to get another shot off. She again took off. Waited for awhile once more. Started tracking her again. Still found that she was alive. We stopped when we saw him. He then was able to get close enough to get his final shot off. She was hit again and off we went tracking her again. After three shots she was finally down. If there wasn’t snow on the ground we would have never been able to find her. We took her home caped her out looked at the entrance and exit wounds to find that the broad heads never opened.
This year I started shooting g5s t3s. Had great results with them. I was able to take to deer two deer with them. The blood trail I had was none like I had ever had before. It was like walking down a highway off blood. The only problem I did have with them is the clips that r used to hold the blades in place. I couldn’t get the blue ones which are considered there light ones to hold the blades. Not sure if I was doing something wrong or what. I had to go to the red ones which are the heavy sitting. Never had a problem with them opening.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also, I would never intentionally shoot a deer in the shoulder with a bow. That being said, i was a little off on a deer this year and it blew through one shoulder and broke the opposite leg on the way out.
Obviously none of us would ever intentionally aim for the shoulder. But like you said, in the event it happens...they can get the job done.

I do want to try the G5 T3's this year, maybe I'll post some photos of my test results.

Any suggestions on what I should shoot through (artificial shoulder materials)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have always used mussys with no problems at all,but four years ago i wanted to change things up alittle went with three blade rage killed two deer with them they never made 75 yards and blood was crazy.the next year switched to the two blade rage and have killed three deer with them same results.in my opinion they wood be a good choice for you to try.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys thanks for the posts. Its almost a fifty fifty on the muzzy rage comments, but like anything else you wont know if its good untill you try it out. Im sure people were having the same type of talks when muzzys first came out....so i might get some rages just to see if i like them if i dont i have buddys who will buy them off me im sure...thanks for the posts again!

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
I switched to the rage last year and they performed flawlessly. A quartering away shot at 17 yards entered in the last rib and exited on the opposite shoulder passing through the heart. Blood trail was very easy to follow. Nice entrance and exit holes.

In my opinion good shot placement makes for good broadheads so shoot what you feel comfortable with and what you shoot well. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
As allready stated shot placement is key! If your concerned about bone, pick a head that at least has a chisel tip.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I'm a 20+ yr muzzy user...I had great success with them. I did try Rage this past season. I did kill 2 deer this year...with good shot placements in both. Both deer had HUGE holes through them too, which was impressive. Two shots two kills two scrapped broad heads. The durability was not impressive at all. I'll be shooting Muzzy's again next year. I have several Muzzys at I killed multiple deer with and still in prefect shape. Just touch up the blades and good to go. I did like the Rage, they flew great, made a hell of a hole but the cost of use at roughly $14 each and good for one shot. No thanks. I can't afford that expense, when I can shoot Muzzy's for $5 each many times.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Muzzy, been using them for a while and they perform flawlessly. Rage and Power Belts, two products that constantly have negative posts about performance, a search on this site will reveal some of those negative reviews.
I dont know about the Power Belts, but I know that when more and more people are using a product, the comments for both good and bad will rise. Not everyone will have the same experience for many of the products that are out there. It is true for a lot of things.... like many, I love my model 700. Some people wont touch one.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the posts. Its almost a fifty fifty on the muzzy rage comments, but like anything else you wont know if its good untill you try it out. Im sure people were having the same type of talks when muzzys first came out....so i might get some rages just to see if i like them if i dont i have buddys who will buy them off me im sure...thanks for the posts again!
Hope they work out good for ya!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Most times it's not the broadhead , it's the "loose nut" behind them ! :evil:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've used thunderheads for 20 some years. Switched to rage for something different, they seem to work good, but don't miss or hit bone. They don't have very good durability, in my case one kill. After using up my rage in 3 shots, started using my thunderheads again. I will probably stay with thunderheads since they hold up better. And I don't care what you use, if you hit the shoulder square on the h bone as I call it, you won't get any penetration. The soft part of the shoulder is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
Muzzy vs Rage. 2 entirely different animals.
Muzzy dissadvantages are you have to take the time to tune them and you have to adjust your sights acordingly. Advantages. They dont have to open, They smash through bone should you happen to smack some bone. They can be resharpened time and time agian. I have killed lots of deer with this broadhead., and have had good blood trails.

Advantages with the rage, lots of blood. you dont have to adjust the sights just screw em on and shoot. Disadvantages. You have to constantly check to see if they opened while being transported in a quiver. They are fragile. and depending on your setup they dont always pass through. I shot a doe last year and she stumbled about 11 yards then dropped dead. No pass through, however im not sure if i will use them again. They cost alot more than muzzys there difficult to resharpen and they can deploy before you want them too.
I do like mechanicals , for the simple fact that i dont have to readjust my sights. I have shot shockwaves in years past and have had no dificulties with those heads. I have also shot spitfires but switched to shock waves because of the price difference.
Now another season is coming and i have thought about going back to muzzies. They are just a fail safe easy to maintain piece of equipment that i have tremendous confidence in.
No matter what you choose as i am sure you already know, shot placement is everything. Have fun experimenting and find out for your self which ones you like.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You all have been lots of help, really enjoy hearing everyones input. Shot placement is everything just like everyone has said. I agree 100% like one man said on this thead "if its not broke, why fix it" i think of that also...i guess its just having an edge in the woods. Now sticking with the muzzys what ones are the best for us bowhunters? Ive only shot one style

1 - 20 of 54 Posts