Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being a full time bow hunter, I made the plunge and bought a T/C Encore this Fall. After getting comfortable on the range I made 5 sits during the S MI ml season without seeing a single deer (very unusual for my area). I was convinced that the muzzy was BAD LUCK! Well, with exactly 45 minutes left in the season (Sunday night) two does popped out of the brush at 45 yards .... waited for them to move away from each other and BOOM .... then nothing but smoke! Long story short is I made a perfect shot (open sights) and the deer ran about 60 yards. My season is done (1 buck w/bow and the doe) and will now catch up on the steelhead!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me on sunday night. I had set up a bait pile. I had three does come right at last light. I was afraid that I wouldn't get a shot. One of them finally moved where I could get a shot. She dropped on the spot. A spine shot. Not what I intended, shot high. What a nice way to end the season. I may get out with my bow a time or two more.

Merry Christmas

Parrothead

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm kicking myself for not going out on Sunday. It really didn't cross my mind to go until my buddy called and said he killed one where we hunt . He said that deer were all over. What was I doing?......watching the lions.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Congrats guys. Same thing with me also, Sunday night, 5:30, and open sights. I really enjoy shooting the old smokepole and it got me more time in the outdoors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also shot a nice doe on Sunday night, with light fading, with my brand new Encore. Big puff of smoke, and all seven deer that I had been watching scattered. When I walked over to check for blood (sixty yard shot) I was thrilled to find blood everywhere. Found my 125 lbs. doe about twenty five yards away missing the lower half of her heart. I LOVE THIS GUN !! I put a Bushnell elite 3200 on top of it, and I could not be happier ! My buddy shot a another doe the day before with his Encore from 185 yards out. Makes me want to put my shotgun away next year. Merry Christmas !

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boy, there was a lot of shooting going on Sunday night!

Mule Skinner ..... I love the Encore and will scope it for next year (I put one on my list for Santa). It's a sweet shooting gun. I did shoot the Omega but really liked the feel of the Encore better. The dropped pistol grip allows me a better grip and more stability. The ability to interchange barrels kind of clinched it for me. I went with the walnut stock w/blued barrel. (I LOVE the walnut!)

Now I'm reconsidering bringing it back out this weekend for the late gun (Kalamazoo county) IF my wife doesn't come through by then with her bow.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I shot a nice doe Saturday morning. I was going to leave the woods at 10:30 after not seeing anything but decided I'd wait it out until 11:00. Had 4 does come in at 10:50 and only 3 left:D.

Heading back up to the farm Christmas night to try and fill our last 4 permits.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
I can sympathize with you all....after passing on many bucks that were regretably bigger during bow and gun season I finally anchored my one and only buck of the season sunday morning right after day light as it crossed a powerline headed for a cedar swamp...a decent six point...dropped him right in his tracks at 85 yards....as I walked up to him I felt a tad sorry for the poor guy.....he'd made it through...55 days of bow season....15 days of gun...then another 9 days of muzzleloading...only to get wacked...on the last morning....and with nobody bowhunting our chunk of land...realistically it was the last day he would have had to worry about us humans for another 9 monthes....oh well heres to backstraps

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
was able to fill an antlerless tag sunday.....very fortunate....alomost missed, but got a spine shot at about 80 yards...then the grueling sound of a deer crying....could not load up fast enough....put it down within a minute (love the pellets and powerbelt bullets).

anyhow,me and my partner were standing there talking and getting our stuff together and had 8 run in on us at about 1030...took the first that gave a shot. my buddy missed his shot,....we were tring to get our timing down to shoot at the exact same time, but he hesitated long enough for his to turn slightly, and had a clean miss.

a 6-point on 11-9 and this one should get me through to next may or june....then i'll eat fish until deer season gets here again.

again, congrats to all....BTW....both deer on southern mi state land....its not hunted out fellas, trust me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts