Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper range to sight in a muzzleloader 50 cal
in-line shooting conical sabots & 2x 50 grain pellets?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I shot a 50 cal flint lock, :cool: with 100 gr. and a 145 gr round ball. I have it sight in with iron sights @ 100 yrds. I can place my shots in a 3" ring. If you shot with a scope you can do better.

·
Registered
35,212 Posts
You should sight it in for the range that you expect to shoot a deer at.

I sight mine in for dead on at 75 yards but I know where it hits at 50 and 100 yards. I hunt smaller food plots in December so I know my shots will be close.

A muzzleloader drops real quick after 125 yards so if you expect shots greater than that, sight in for that but know where it hits at 50, 75, 100 and 125 yards.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
I use a .45 cal inline with 175gr saboted bullets and 2 x 50 gr pyrodex pellets, and a 2.5x-7x scope dialed up to 7x. Last year I was getting 3" groups at 100yds. Could have done better with more practice time. This year I hope to get 2" groups with the same setup at the same yardage.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
To many variables. Not to say that it wouldn't but you must shot at those distances to know. Even if you sight in @ 25 and you have a good group; this does not automaticly give you good results @ 100yrds. I have mine sighted in @ 2" high at 100yrds. This weekend I'll be shooting at 150 and 200yrds. The numbers tell me I'll be 1" low @ 200 yrds. BUT until I practice @ those yrds I won't know.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking there might be a ballistic chart ... like there is
for rifles. ?

I would still shoot at different differences to verify though ...

·
Administrator
26,663 Posts
I do my T/C at 75 yards. Where I hunt thats a long shot.

Did you ever put 3 pellets in that baby and shoot it? Like shooting a 10 gauge.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
It's awful hard to come up with an accurate "ballistics chart" for muzzle loaders. Way to many variables.

Round ball or sabot?

Black powder or pyrodex?

Firm ram in the barrel or light?

Inline or traditional?

Clean bore or fouled?

And etc.

Best advice I can give is DO THE RANGE WORK.

Shoot the gun and shoot it somemore and then shoot it again to be sure. This is like having a chart for a BB gun, they're all individuals.

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts